1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS settings for Cura?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jdumbaugh, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Hello,

I'm playing around with Cura, and I notice that I get material globbing at the ends. I assume it's because the infill layers are too close, but I'm still playing around with that.

IMG_6302.JPG

As a rule of thumb, is it suggested to run the fan with ABS? I know we're heating the bed, so does it do any good to cool the filament?

I'm running at 220 with the bed at 90 and had a print curl up. Trying another print now with the bed set to 100. Any particular temp that prevents the print from curling? I'm using Kapton tape.

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I don't do much printing with ABS but I believe that typically you do not run the filament cooling fan. That causes the filament to cool too quickly and can cause warping.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The standard Robo Repetier ABS settings have the cooling switched on. There is no mention in the start up manual that the cooling should be turned off for ABS.

4. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Interesting. I re-did my print at 100C (from 90C) and turned the fan off and it didn't curl at all

5. Billm

Billm Member

I have the robo settings and for abs the fan is off. My problem is that the abs seems to print fine but there is not a good bond between layers and the part delaminates way too easily. I have been using 230/220 bed 90. Not sure what temps to use for abs. Pla works great at 210/200 bed 35. What should the temps be for ABS?

6. jdumbaugh

jdumbaugh Member

Please post a pic? Here's the Hylian Crest print with 0.2mm layers, 0.8mm shell (2-layer), 100% fill (because I used clear ABS), printing at 220/100 with the fan off:

IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6308.JPG

It's got excellent adhesion to the Kapton tape, but it definitely warps the print in the center.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

For ABS should cooling in Repetier be turned on or off?

What is the recommendation?

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

For ABS for prints with sections that stick up with a small area I found that "Enable Auto Cooling" is still needed. These small areas need to cool before the next layer pass. Disable the fan for the first few layers. Cooling threshold: enable fan if print time below 18s, slow down is layer print time is below 15s, min print speed 5mm/s. These are a bit arbitrary but seem to help. Be careful with the Max fan setting. At 100% I can hear the base of the object start slowly cracking off the hairspray when it goes on :). So it is a bit of a fine line with too much cooling and having a thin section start to bend and mush. The min print speed helps because it will take longer for it to go back over a section and gives it more time to cool.

9. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

I would easily bump those temps up(assuming you can with whatever hot end you are using). It needs to go hotter if its not bonding. Those temps may not be accurate, just use the numbers as a guide.....go hotter.

10. Billm

Billm Member

Went to 240/230 with abs and no stringing and good inter layer bond. Maybe me thermistor is 10 deg off!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.