1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS sticks with Prit Stik

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Fretwell, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fretwell

John Fretwell New Member

Hi

I had my temperature set to 235 degrees, the bed heater turned off and the ABS stuck like a charm. To get it off after the print i turned the bed heater up to 100 degrees then it came off nice and easy.

I tried tape before and turning my bed as hot as it would go and they all failed.

Comparing both i prefer PLA as it gives a better finish and it is easier to use. Not a lot of help to me now though as i am changing jobs, hopefully this information helps someone as it is very frustrating trying to get ABS to stick.

Regards
    John

2. John Fretwell

John Fretwell New Member

I have printed out 8 times today with 100% success, this is due to the Prit Stick. I am wondering now if PLA would print with more success if i use Prit Stick, i might just give that a try later, PLA does look better and it is stronger so it would be great if it did work with Prit Stik.

After each print all i do is scrape off the loose with a blade even if the bed is hot or cold, rub some more Prit Stik over the damaged area and print again.

I did notice those that the heat needs to be 236 degrees, any lower and it does not come out right, any higher than that the temperature reaches the setting i made then decreases ? i assume this is some sort of fail safe built into the printer, once it does this i need to close down the software, switch off and on the printer and start again ?

Regards
    John

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

So what is Prit Stik , never heard of it out here in Southern California

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so it is a glue stik ok water soluable??

6. John Fretwell

John Fretwell New Member

Like the picture attached, the name changes in countries but it is the same stuff and most are water based.

Attached Files:

7. John Fretwell

John Fretwell New Member

Another thing i noticed today was the edges curling some times, i have not seen that with PLA. I will try and print something tomorrow with PLA and use pritStik and see what happens. I don't have much filament left now and i can't seem to find any in Dubai yet, not the best place to get anything really.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are using ABS that is something that happens ABS is vry finicky when it comes to staying flat you will find that issue is an ongoing thing and many different views on how to resolve many of which I have tried my self some successfully some not so much.

It is one reason I foucus on trying to start with PLA to get the basics learned without having to worry about filament characteristics or drawback PLA seems to print much easier when starting or learning

9. John Fretwell

John Fretwell New Member

I agree. You taught me a huge amount and that allowed me to print with PLA, without that knowledge i would never have managed to print with ABS as i had no starting point to work from, your help was very much appreciated Jeff and your knowledge about 3D is quite extensive, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.