1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Any tips for printing architectural models?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Voyager1, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Hi guys - having a bit of trouble working out the best way to print my architectural models. I am an architect and produce all my documentation (including 3D model) using ArchiCAD. The latest version of ArchiCAD lets me save my models (houses usually) as .stl files, so I've done that with a small, double-storey house I did recently.

Problem 1. When I tried to print it of course, the floor of the second level just "fell into" the ground floor level below as I did not have support turned on. Although I killed the print, I know the same problem will arrive when printing my roofs. I want to have the interior of the model open, as you can see in through the window openings into the interior spaces. I had some commercial 3D printing done of a similar model before my Robo arrived, so I know it can be done. Does anyone have any tips to help me get this right?

Problem 2. Some of my models are too large to print to scale in one go on the print bed of the Robo. Can I use Repetier Host to split the model into 2 parts that I can glue together later? Or do I need other software to do that?

2. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

You could split them in other program, then lay on its side...then you just have one wall to deal with. Rhino 3d can split.

3. polylac

polylac New Member

If you can split them into parts, maybe you can lay them in a way that no floor or roof is on top.
    Like flipping it 90° to the right (one half of the house) with the wall in the build platform, The top side would be the cut so you have mostly just flat walls, or vertical walls (the roof would hava a angle that should be printabel).

4. alpha

alpha New Member

Hello, i'm Architecture student so i have quite experience with this Issue too. the clue ist to save and print the seperate floors seperately. Then you can show the inside and there is no problem concerning with roof or floor.
    Kind regards Jochen

Attached Files:

5. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I think alpha is right - looks like separating storeys is the way to go. Otherwise I'm thinking just a form model (ie. leave the support material inside) could be an option for some projects.

6. 330SC

330SC Member

Not sure how your CAD software works but when modeling with mine the complete model is built from multiple solids (assuming it's complex) then can be stitched in to one complete solid if desired. What I would not want to do, in your case is build the house and end up with it stitched together as one solid then try to "unstitch" or break it apart into pieces to print but rather build the house in sub assemblies, as complete solids, each to be printed. The point is if you don't do it that way and later try to break the model apart for printing you may end up with many small solids that need to be rearranged/reassembled. This can get time consuming. In other words think about how you are going to print it while you are doing your initial design work.

7. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

I use ArchiCAD. It will let me isolate individual building parts, storeys or sections in 3D window and save as stl format. Absolutely agree - if I wanted to self-assemble, I'd def be making it the old fashioned way - in cardboard!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.