1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto bed leveling is here :D

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Seshan, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

2. scotta

scotta Active Member

Looks great, all be it a bit clunkly. I'm sure some thing more elegant that a switch that can flip in and out can be created?....
    I'll have to add that to my list now......

3. scotta

scotta Active Member

A slightly more elegant solution.

4. scotta

scotta Active Member

5. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

They all depends on the G29 patch to be applied to the firmware. Which I don't think is part of Robo3d's firmware. Not sure if it is part of the mainstream version either.

Mind you this works well until you have to mate objects together (e.g. you've cut a model in half, printed it, and now want to glue it back together) and you find your bed isn't as level as you think. Found this out while playing with that idea while printing my derpfox. Hoping for way to have less support materials.

6. scotta

scotta Active Member

I believe there are a couple of issues that, generally, 3d printing needs to address; firstly the bed;
    1/ bed is flat but not level
    2/ bed is curved and not level

Secondly the height of the extruder needs to be set.

Both issues need to be addressed, ideally in an automated way, before we get broader adoption of 3d printers.

Herein starts my mission.......

7. scotta

scotta Active Member

Ben, the solutions above are software solutions, not addressing the physical.
    Any one had thought in using servo motors, or small motors to level the bed. Using a combination of sensors above and a leveling technique?

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yeah, this guy uses servos to level his, Seems a little more complicated tho.

I believe the newest firmware supports for the bed leveling that I posted before, I'm not sure what I have to do to get it on the RoBo though. :/

9. scotta

scotta Active Member

This is exactly what I was thinking of in terms of bed leveelling
    However, the nail approach is a little crude. A combination of the touch sensor and the levelling screws concepts

10. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was wondering how do you think this would work on beds that are warped it seems bed leveling adjust things nicely if the bed is completely perfectly flat or else I could see issues popping up.

IF the bed has mulitple hi and low spots I do not see this as being much help as you could never know them all

also if the bed is perfectly flat then a simple onetime shime of the base would work just a swell wouldn't?

I am not being negative but this just popped into my head as I heard others mentioning shimming the bed

12. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Nothing will help a warped bed :p
    Shimming might work, But stuff shifts and moves, like the sliders, then your bed could be off again.

13. scotta

scotta Active Member

Tesseact,
    this would be the second case, bed is curved and not level. Unless you had a some what flexible bed material, which would not be ideal, then the only answer would be a software solution. Contour mapping, take measurements at multiple points. Feasible but too hard for me. I've encountered this with a makerbot, the non supported edges of the bed droop lower. (They use a 3point adjustment system). The answer here is to use their raft function to create a level bed. Not ideal.

As for bed leveling and hot end height.
    How often do you need to relevel? Every time you apply tape, after using some force to get the model off, etc. if the printer was super solid then perhaps done at the factory then never again.

How often do you need to reset hot end height?

My comment is that the latter two need to be solved before adoption of 3d printers beyond the hobby space. Take for example laser printers; they are now so simple that all that is needed is to swap toner. It does all it's own calibration.

Cheers

14. scotta

scotta Active Member

15. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Hmm, You can see how they do it here Pretty much the same thing, but with out a servo, This way could be easier to integrate into the RoBo.

16. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I would love this to be in the robo!

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok just to make sure this IS NOT BED LEVELING it is an algorythm that compensates for the EXISTING BED UNLEVELNESS by knowing where it is and how much it wiil have to adjust the movment of the z axis to compensate for the error.

Say you have a 6x6 square build table you can break it up into 9 2x2 area do a height check in each 2x2 block and remember if it is higher or lower then some preset location like home then as the print get printed and the nozzle moves into a 2x2 block area it knows the this block is lower than the origin(Home) say by .05mm so it adjusts the z axis down by .05 mm to compensate and then onto the next.

This is a very rough example they probably use vectoring to calculate difference

This would be more accurately called an BED COMPENSATOR

The only way to have an actual bed leveler would be to have something that manipulates the bed surface directly
    So unless you see something pushing up onto or our down onto the bed surface it is not bed leveling but compensating all of the "Auto bed levelers" do the same thing.

the calculation is very intriguing though but would take some software programming to set it up for the ROBO as well as the probing aspect.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would think that they could almost be sued for the blatent misguiding description if they advertise it as such. I would lay odds it describes it as "compensating for"

19. scotta

scotta Active Member

Tesseract, I like your definitions
    Bed compentator - software solution. Dynamically compensating z axis. I would assume largely as a linear compensation
    Bed leveling - raising or lowering mechanically the bed to level it
    I think there is one more option
    Bed leveling and curvature adjustment. Leveling mechanically, but also somehow fixing any curvature, probably require 4 or 5 points of adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.