1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Axis screech?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jsn9955, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

My printer showed up a day early and I've been running it for a couple hours now. The first two prints from the library were pretty successful looking running the stock settings on PLA, so I decided to load a simple "emblem" file I had created in solidworks as it's all I had to see how it would work that was a simple file I had created.

After printing for appx 3 hrs (total, not just on my one personal file), a screech began to develop, from listening to it, I can pin it to either the Z axis , or the Y upon fast movement. I don't see any mention of this in any instructions I received, but I can only imagine these need to be lubed? If so, what is recommended? If not, what other issue could I be looking at?

#1 Jsn9955, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Screech will almost certainly be the Z axis where there are metal nuts turning on metal.

White lithium grease (ie bike grease) will help quieten it down.

3. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

+1
    I had the same screeching at about the same amount of time - mine was the X-Axis bearings. Lube fixed it - a little light machine oil applied with a Q-Tip.
    I think it got dry from sparying windex to clean the hairspray off the bed.

4. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

Sounds like a simple enough fix. Perhaps I'll try the Way Oil from my mill on the screws as I have it readily available. If that doesn't work out so hot, I will pick up some grease.

Thanks for the tip

5. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

Put some Way Oil (Mobil Vactra No. 2) on the screws, and rods with a Q-tip, and quieted right down. Easy fix. Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.