1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

bad prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Karl Baker, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

so I got my printer (ABS+PLA) 3 days ago. I set it up per instructions and started printing a box in ABS. The box came out great so I printed a cell phone cover, which also came out great. Feeling good about the printer, I decided to print a little plaque for a guy at work and at the same time print a better design of the cell phone case. The print was going to take 4 hrs and it was already 2 am so I let the printer run and went to bed. When I woke up (3 hrs later) the printer was still running but plastic was everywhere and the print bed and extruder's temp were way down. The Z axis nuts had loosened and fallen way down below the print bed. I cleaned everything up and unclogged the printer head, used a fan to help cool the board, recalibrated my Z axis and now I can't get anything to print. I have switched to PLA with the understanding its an easier material to print. The first layer either doesn't stick or after around 5 layers the part warps and comes off. Also you can see in the pictures that it will skip layers and print with large clumps. As you can see in the pictures, the right side actually prints very well and looks great, but the left side skips layers and leaves that material behind. I cleaned my bed and heated it to 40 degrees with the PLA and its seems to help but I cant get a good solid print. It seems as if when the printer head hits the clumps, it skips, causing it to get misaligned and skip layers. If I could get the clumps to disappear I think I could get this thing to work. Any help?

Thanks,

Karl

Attached Files:

2. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

Filament type: PLA and ABS, but just using PLA to try and get the printer to work properly
    Extruding Temp: starting at 200 then going to 190
    Bed Temp: starting at 50 then to 40
    Bed makeup (i.e. what is all on the bed...glass; plexi; tape; hairspray; slurry etc) The bed is just glass and then painters tap.

3. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

so I let the print finish and heres the results. The letter isn't bad at all, some missed lines but not bad. The base is shifted and still rough.

Attached Files:

4. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

I adjusted the z axis and had two good prints for those "Scores" parts. I moved on to a larger platform and noticed the boarder of the parts looks great. Its nice and flat and sticks to the bed nicely, however the infill begins to look a little wavy. Is this because my feed rate is to much?

Thanks,

Karl

Attached Files:

5. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

or maybe its because my first layer is .4mm

6. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

back two mounting locations for the heated bed were installed upside down and were loose.

7. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

still don't understand why im getting this "wave" in the print. My speed is set at the default setting. It smooths out as it builds more and more layers, if the extruder head doesn't get out of alignment due to the jarring caused by hitting the uneven layers.

Attached Files:

8. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

Y axis motor wasn't mounted securely either.

9. Karl Baker

Karl Baker New Member

I manually adjusted the z axis up during printing and it seems to have help a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.