1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Printed Solid, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Getting a level bed is probably the most important thing you can do to produce a good print. Most beds I've seen use some sort of mechanism where the bed is supported above a platform with springs and bolts. You loosen and tighten the bolts to level the plate and the springs keep the bed stable.

The best thing that I did for my Replicator was to make a dial indicator leveling fixture. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23257. I actually use (and highly recommend) an analog indicator instead of the digital one that everyone else seems to like.

I'd like to design one for the Robo and print up a bunch when I'm not busy with other jobs to have available to sell and quickly ship out to frustrated new owners when this forum starts to fill up with "Help, my prints are not sticking" threads :). Does anyone know the specs on x-axis rod diameters and spacing?

2 people like this.
  2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Wow, thanks for posting this, I was thinking about using those for bed leveling the other day, all thought I didn't know what they where. I never would of guessed "dial indicator".
    Did a quick ebay search and cheap digital ones from china start at $40 :/

3. Printed Solid

Staff Member

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Now that we're getting close to first delivery, I am going to go ahead and design something up. I'm not until July or so. Does anyone who is in the US and a first round backer want to be a test dummy guinea pig knowledgeable tester for me? I'll send you a holder and dial indicator for free in exchange for your feedback.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I can help. I purchased one the the dial indicators you linked to so no need to send one.

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks. PM me your mailing address sometime when you think of it.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

IF you need a second feedback source and have two of the jigs I have an indicator already I would help also just let me know. My dial indicator is just like JDMs from amazon

8. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

PS I'm an April fully assembled I'll pick up the indicator you reference to if you could mail me out one of the jigs? Even if at a small price so that I can get the most calibrated bed possible and then I would be willing to do the same (using the same file provide printed versions to those who need them)

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks for the offer all three of you. I think I'm going to just to with Justin for the first one. He can pay it forward if he wishes or I'll run off some more once we know it works well.

The printer should be easy enough to set up using the shim method for leveling to print lower res (200 micron and higher) and relatively small objects. The indicator only becomes important when you're trying to push into higher resolution and/or larger prints.

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

doesnt the robo have leveling adjustments built into the bed, They did mention this before.

oops: yeah I misunderstood what this thread was about. :oops:

11. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I'm assuming it would pretty much all 3d printers do, but you still need a way to check if it is level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.