1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best filament spool holder for RoBo.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JDM_, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I would like this forum be an open discussion To find the best spool holding solution for RoBo.

Ok. So I had my filament on a tripod next to my RoBo and I fell during a print snapping the filament off at the print head. So I'm thinking its time to either design a spool holder or find an existing design that will sit either next to or on top of RoBo.... (I prefer next to)

I originally planned on keeping RoBo in my garage but I live in Florida which is very hot and humid. I was going to just hang the filament above it on a rod.... So I have changed my mind and will be keeping inside. Since it's going to be inside I need a more aesthetically pleasing solution to holding the spool.

I was thinking something like this....
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40084
    image.jpg

The only issue I seeks that I will have to design some sort of filament guide to keep the filament from binding and rubbing on RoBo's case.

What do you guys think. Do you know of a better option? Can you think of a better solution?

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I pretty much use something like what the robo guys have set up. A piece of pipe sitting on a couple blocks of wood. Easily handles any filament spool size. Its not the prettiest thing, but it works just fine. As long as the machine has a good filament feed, rolling friction is a non-issue. I think this is the 'best' solution because it takes zero effort to set up and costs nothing (made out of scrap material).

That being said, I like the one you have posted. An easy mod to that system to make it more robo friendly would be to add in a fitting for a 1/4" flexible tubing then also add a similar fitting to the top of the robo as a guide.

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Is 1/4" the standard size used to guide filament? Is that the clear tube I see the filament going through on many RepRaps?

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I have a similar idea but instead of individual bearings that the spool edge rests on.... I want to put the bearings inside a tube and the I tube/cylinder will spin. We will still need to design a filament guide. RoBo has some unique challenges because of the case and the moving bed.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I wa thinking of building a "dry" box to hold the spools but luckily in CA the humidity is fairly low most of the time so for now I am focusing on other things but wouldn't a bowden type system be more controllable I mean seems like it is a much less clumsy way to move filament around and keep it dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.