1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best temps for extruder and bed?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

What are the best temps for pla filament on the bed and extruder? I've tried a range from 190 to 210 for the extruder and 50 to 70 on the bed. When I try to print, the filament doesn't stick to the bed very well. Also it takes a few seconds for the filament to come out when the project starts to print, so it misses the first little bit of the first layer.

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

What you should do is print a several loops of skirt first. This gives the head enough time to prime so that it extrudes filament correctly.

Also, I found that I needed to prep the surface first using a light coat of hairspray (Aquanet specifically since it seems to hold best from what I read), let it dry (I do so by heating the bed) and then printing. I typically need to renew the coat of hairspray every few prints. I do this by first removing the old (using Acetone then a razor blade to scrape) and putting down the new coat.

3. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

@Melody, what do you set the bed temp to once you spray a coat of hairspray.

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I believe I'm setting it to 65 at the moment. (Well at the moment being before I killed the microcontroller but the printer should be up and running after today)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.