1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Blocked or Clogged

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I think we need to make a distinction in what we say or communicate to others when we have issues with the filament not exiting the hot end

There are two conditions that can happen one is not bad at all the other much less common but id more difficult to repair

If the nozzle tip is blocked it means that something that has not melted is at the or near the surface of the nozzle tip and can usually be removed by gently scraping the tip as it extrudes filament.

If you raise the z axis to say 25 and extrude material the stream of filament should drop straight down and begin to coil as it reaches the bed if the tip is blocked it may start to form a loop immediately as the new filament snags on what ever is blocking the tip. Repeated scrapings across the nozzle tip usually removes this. Normally you would not want to start a print if the nozzle is blocked make sure it is a nice clean flow.

Now a clog is totally different it is usually caused by foreign material actually in the material or by a more catastrophic damage done to the hot end parts or by sections of filament that have not been melted properly and now are unable to move to the area of the hotend where it can be melted.

This is usually identified by the fact that during the computer controlled extrusion no filament comes out at AND that filament can not be manually pushed through if the top of the extruder assembly is open as if to change filament.

The process to clean this is usually a long one involving removal of the hot end assembly from the extruder housing and also its disassembly to get access to the internals of the hotend.

A blocked nozzle can temporarily appear as if it is a clog if there is sufficient material stuck to the nozzle tip and it must be cleaned off in order to remove the blockage scraping it each print is a good practice to get into to help keep it clean.

In my setup I have the extruder raise 5mm and extrude 5cm of material just before each print begins.

My process goes like this
    I turn on the temp and set it to what I know the print is going to start at
    and while it heats up I do other things like finish the slicing and spray the bed with hairspray
    then after it heats up and the slicing is finished I run the job my code which has been inserted runs first so the z axis raises and filament begins to extrude I then put my tweezers around the little coil of filament on the bed with one prong on each side of the nozzle tip and wait a few seconds as Repetier determines that the already heated extruder is at the right temp as per its own code. then the nozzle lowers and begins to move to the print area and begin printing, when this happens I simply pinch the tweezers tight and teh nozzle scrapes itself clean on one of the prongs of the tweezer as it moves to start printing. So it starts with a clear nozzle.

In order to get the nozzle to rise I use this code in the custom gcode window
    In the slic3r config screen last tab under Gcode you should see two blocks one for before the print and one for after the print

I add this code in the before
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E13 ;extrude 13mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

Others may have different processes that work for them and that is good just try and keep the nozzle clean as you print.

2 people like this.
  2. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I don't even want to THINK about how many times I've clogged my printer also from having my Z axis too low... The filament gets bunched up at the entry to the PEEK and wedges SOLID! If I catch it in time I can kill the job, recalibrate my Z axis height, and start again... if not, I have to disassemble the hotend from the extruder, somehow get the coiled filament in the metal at the top of the PEEK, pull the hotend apart, clean everything out, and reassemble, and start again. I've burned my fingers so many times. {sigh} I'm getting better at Z axis calibration, but that's still my primary problem over the last few days of printing. Once I get it working, I do all the prints I can at that resolution... praying to any and every diety I can think of that I don't throw my nuts and have to start over with Z axis calibration, from scratch, again. and again. and again. and again.

3. Clarence

Clarence New Member

I think my hot end tip is clogged, material comes out but does start to coil immediately. I bought a fully assembeled robo 3d and was wondering if there is documentation for cleaning out a tip that has a clog or blockage.

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

If you turn your temp up a bit it'll probably fall before it coils. That's more a function of temp. If you are getting material out at all then it's almost certainly not clogged.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Generally if it coils upon exiting the nozzle tip you have a little something right at the edge that the filement catches on as it comes out every print I set mine to extrude while it is at teh home position right before it moves to beging printing and by looking at how it comes out I can tellif something is hanging onit ususally comes out straight and coils on teh bed I place my tweezers around the outside and then just as it moves to start I pinch the tweezers shut and it scrapes the nozzle tip pretty clean and the print usually starts off pretty well right away

6. cosber

cosber Active Member

I had a bad plug at the tip-couldn't push the filament through manually even when heated at 220c. I soaked a cotton swab in acetone and pushed it against the extruder tip for a few minutes. It apparently worked because afterwards I heated it up again and could push the filament through.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

if that was ABS then it will work but if you have the same happen with PLA it will be much more difficult to remove as PLA does not react with acetone I heard maybe MEK but have not tried it yet

If it was PLA then mostlikely something else happened to cause the filament to loosen up

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

Actually, it was PLA. I haven't tried the ABS yet. I don't know what else it could have been-some other foreign object that dissolves in acetone?

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

main thing it is cleared Yeahhh

10. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

Tesseract--

Your description of your pre-print process is SUPER helpful. I've now stationed a pair of tweezers next to the printer. Forgive my ignorance, but where do you set the preferences to always raise 5mm & extrude 5cm? Is that set in Slic3r? Elsewhere?

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It is in the slic3r config screen last tab under Gcode you should see two blocks one for before the print and one for after the print

I add this code in the before
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E13 ;extrude 13mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

12. DCVAR

DCVAR New Member

Excellent! It's super helpful to have an automated way to ensure there's good flow. Much appreciated.

13. cosber

cosber Active Member

I put the code in. I'm having problems with curling at the moment but will work on that. I was wondering why when you start a job it pauses for close to 10 seconds before it starts. Even with the code, it spits out the filament then pauses. By the time it starts, the filament has bunched up again and the benefits of the code is gone. It does it with everything I print so it isn't a particular code entry.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it pauses because there is a setting in the software that says youhave to be at this temp for x seconds the actual code at that point basically says to set the temp to what every you had in the profile si it just so happens it is already there so it just has to wait fore that one timeout I just mentioned.

As faras clearing it you actaullly leave the little blob in place after when it start to extrude I place the tweezers on both side of that little blob BUT I do not grab it I wait that 10 seconds you salk a bout then right as it begins to move THAT is when I grab the blob and let the tweezers scrape it clean if you wait until the nozzle moves then grab it is only a few seconds until it starts extruding again so no cap can form

Do you understand that now? if not let me know and I can make a vid or something

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the curling measn that the filament is catching on partof the nozzle repeated scrapings will eventually clean that off

Sometimes after a long period of non printing it starts to extrude but nothing comes out bu tit is simply build up inside and I scrape the tweezers across the tip and it usually starts to come out then

16. cosber

cosber Active Member

Gotcha. What do you think of rubbing a nail file gently over the tip to clear the build up? I've scraped alot and it hasn't helped. I can't get a good look at the tip so I was going to take out the extruder assembly as shown in the video, but those screws are really tight-the little screw driver they provide doesn't allow enough torque. I guess I could get one of those electric ones they use in the video.
    Also, I erased all my settings and started over from the beginning using the Repetier setup in the video which is different from the one in the manual. I haven't tried it yet because of the looping, but I hope it gives me some better luck.

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the only thing you need to worry about is eith the file is that it could cause more issues because as the file goes over the surface it could inject metal particles into the filament which could get lodge. I have found the tweezers works really well to maintain it but if something is in their now you may need to get some .3 piano wire and clean the nozzle from below and then keep it clean with the use of the tweezers.

not sure about the new settings. My settings are far from what they originally were but I cannot complain about the settings I use or the process I use based on the quality of my prints.

18. cosber

cosber Active Member

How about posting your settings? I understand each print has to be tweaked, but I'd be interested in seeing what you have as a base compared to what the videos and manuals have. I'm using PLA at the moment because the printer is in the house and will be until I can show some progress. Speaking of PLA, does it give off any odor? I have to open a window when I print. It's not bad, but enough where I wouldn't want to be shut inside a room with it. I keep wondering if I got a mislabeled roll based on the odor (which might also explain my failure to print!), but since I haven't used the ABS I don't know what to expect for an odor.
    Thanks.

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I usually give those to the people I have worked with to get the first layers right so that I dont have to start hearing thing like "Jeff's settings don't work my print still keeps popping off" when it has nothing to do with settings. It just start a whole other set of threads I would have to concern myself about if the basic heights are setup using the same process and things I look for when setting mine then I know the settings will be good for you but if you use another method then my settings may not work for you. Don't take this as I amholding them hostage Ijust want tomake sure the foundation is set properly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.