1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cable gets trapped during homing Y axis, Z hits bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chandu, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandu

Chandu New Member

Just got my Robo3D. After installing and upgrading the Matter Control software, was able to connect and check the Z offset to be what is specified on the enclosed leaflet.
    Have not been to able to home motors, with the cable getting trapped during Y axis home and the Z axis just hits the bed and the printer has to be switched off to stop, the software does not detect the stop failure and happily keeps driving the stepper motor. I have not seen that before in any motor control software. The normal behaviour is on error, the motor should stop before it causes damage.
    I hope the few times I have tried this has not already damaged the printer.

I can not see where the Z axis limit stop sensor is on the drive. In the attached picture I see the X axis sensor, but by comparison with other images of the printer, I cannot see the Z axis limit sensor.

Another disappointment as far as the quality goes, the magnet at one end (lower left) has come off the bed and stays with the counterpart in the machine.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chandu,

It sounds like you have accidentally installed the wrong version of the firmware. This will happen every time if you do not choose your printer model to be R1 or R1 heated bed. (this is redundant and soon the software will just have R1 as the option).

Please delete your current printer profile and create a new one choosing R1. Then connect to the printer and go to the control panel and do a firmware update.

3. Chandu

Chandu New Member

Thank you Jerry.
    I have not selected any option other than R1, the upgraded software I have does only have the R1 option. I am concerned about the fact that I can not see the Z axis home sensor. Any thoughts on that?
    Is there a better picture of the way to rout the cable to the heated bed.

4. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chandu,

The software has only one option for the maker of the printer, but there are 3 or 4 options for which model you have. It's the third thing you choose when you are setting up a printer profile. First you choose a name or stay with defaul name. Then you choose the maker of the printer. Only one option there; Robo 3D. Then you choose the model. Choose R1. Now connect your printer and do a firmware update to get it back to the auto-level firmware.

2 people like this.
  5. cosber

cosber Active Member

I noticed my cabling was also getting trapped during printing. I asked numerous times if someone would post a picture of their machine to compare, but no one would help me out. Finally, back in January, the wires snapped off the heat bed and I haven't used it since. I purchased the y axis upgrade and Jerry is going to install it this weekend. I will be happy to post a picture of the routing of the cable when I get it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.