1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can I add support material?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by technotrope, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technotrope

technotrope New Member

After running slic3r on my object, I started printing without looking too closely. About 10mm in the Z direction, it started trying to print support for some overhangs. Of course, as there was nothing below, it simply extruded a long string of PLA, which it promptly dragged onto the existing portion.

Two questions:

1. What might cause it to not run the support all the way down to the table?

2. Is there a way to "manually" tell slic3r to add additional support material in specific places?

Thanks, in advance, for your help and suggestions.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it should not do that did you actually have support turned on when you sliced it or is what saw simply trying to print an actual part of the object that you only thought was support. I think this may be the case you can look in the gcode section of repetier host and if you select 3d view you can move the slider and see how your print would have printed layer by layer and see if it was actually support or part of the print

3. technotrope

technotrope New Member

Thanks for your amazing fast reply!

I have the support turned on, and can see that the material is *supposed* to be support material below an overhanging part. But, for some reason, the support material doesn't go all the way to the ground.

But wait! There's more! At work this morning, I ran Slic3r on the model so I could post before-and-after pictures. My machine here at the office didn't create any support material, even though the option is checked. So, I must have different settings between here and home. I'll check this out and repost a screen capture tomorrow morning.

Here's what I'm working with:
    Connection.jpg

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that doesn't look like it would actually need supports
    I think supports start becoming almost a requirement at about 40-45 degrees
    I think you are right on the edge but can't tell for sure from the image 2013-07-05 09.17.58.jpg 2013-07-05 09.18.08.jpg
    In these prints the ONLY thing require supports was the chin area and in this desing he made the support himself so it could be quickly removed but the ears did not have any at all and they look like they are going out at lesser angle the yours print is

Let me know what you think

5. technotrope

technotrope New Member

OK, I got it working by sending the Slic3r file home (I still need to compare the settings between home and office). How, perhaps someone could critique the resulting print and give me some tips:
    Robo3D 069.JPG
    I printed it in this orientation. Lots of "bumps." The layers on the top surfaces look terrible, and there was an extra thread that you can see on the side. This thread corresponded to a gap of the same length in the side of the print:
    Robo3D 072.JPG
    Finally, it still decided there was a need for support (I understand it's to support the top surface inside the model), but why does it insist support material doesn't need to go to all the way down to the table:
    Robo3D 075.JPG
    Thanks, in advance, for your ongoing help and suggestions.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

OK the print actually looks pretty good to be honest since you have a lot of question I still assume you are new and for being so this is actually pretty good

The bumps are completely normal it has to do with retraction settings, lift, speed, temp etc all combined at the same time and simply needs experience to tweak to get just right and then expect to do that for different materials all the time so get used to that part.But these are also more advanced issues so congrats on getting things this far.

The last picture is very tipical I get that on almost every print I make that is hollow it is still a retraction issue most likely there are things you can do to reduce them one setting in repetier is to check the avoid crossing perimeters box I think it is in the first category in the configuration setting s screen let me know if you have trouble finding it.

As far as your support question I am still confused by your description if you can try and get a picture of just that happening maybe even a little video.

I am not sure what you mean by the surface layers look terrible
    it won't look smooth as glass unless you try it in ABS and then polish it but that is a WHOLE different ball game what is it that you do not like get a close up so we can see as well

the single line I see could be a fluke but if you said it was missing from the side then it may mean you are printing with your s height too high and the layers are not being set down and gently pushed together not sure though need more information.

There are thing I can look for but they are not evident in the pictures

also I am assuming this is PLA but don't know what layer heights you are using or what resolution you are trying to print at

I need to see a skirt or some brims
    here is an example of what I would like to see it has lots of information in
    _first layer example.jpg

7. technotrope

technotrope New Member

Yes, I guarantee I'm a complete newb. :) And, I'm comfortable with the fact that I've just scratched the surface as I'm learning how to use this FABULOUS tool! I'll try to post a skirt and brim image.

In the meantime, here are a couple of images to help explain my earlier questions. In this image, you can see that the bottom potion of the print is very clean, but the undersides of the "arms" become really rough:
    photo 1.JPG

Looking at the same area and tracing the curve under the arm, you can see that the final curve is not continuous:
    photo 3.JPG
    In fact, if I were to look at the flat end of the arm, it's not a perfect circle. The bottom side of the circle looks like it's kind of flattened out.
    photo.JPG
    I appreciate your patience. I've taught a lot of students over the years, and am well aware that, when someone is first learning something, they'll produce all kinds of bizarre results that gradually go away as they gain experience. If all of these kinds of errors that I'm describing are nothing more than climbing the learning curve, then at least I know I'm not screwing up somehow.

Thanks, again.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

No problem some of it ia learning curve and you are definitely on the right track that last image is probably the most horizontal of the four and the printer does what it can without supports if none are used and the resulting circle you see is a typical result of that attempt it may be that in this case a support may indeed be necessary to get that more intoa circular shape.

It can either be designed in like the yoda or stipulated in the software the problem with the software side of things is that it is an all or nothing affair so it could end up using a lot of filament and then have several areas that are not so smooth where supports were attached and on this one it would be a lot

as far a the first two images the print resolution you are using may have an affect as well I am not sure what resolution that is but the smaller the better but also the more time it takes to print I relegated myself to do most things in 200micron or .2 but somepeole want better result and go with .1 or even .075 or .050 but not sure how much success they have had with that

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I just thought of something that could cause that support to mysteriously begin in mid air actually the only idea I have had about it and that is the drawing itself contains a small error that slicer interprets as needing to print something there. There is a program called netfabb it is free and I use it now on almost everything I print and it has teh ability to fix small little errors that you sometimes can not even see and the drawings afterwards have always come out better when using it

You basically load the stl file hit a small red cross looking symnbol choose the standard repair I think it is (I always do) begin the fix when it is done in a few seconds I export the srawing back to teh original stl file and I am good you may want to get netfabb and try it out on this object

it is actually called netfabb basic which is free it may solve that issue

10. polylac

polylac New Member

I once drew a part that was made out of two pieces. I didn't unified them properly and slicer then began to add support mid air. So maybe this could be the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.