1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can I Borrow a Few Eyes for Height Adjustment

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Clarence, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarence

Clarence New Member

I'm getting on and off sticking to the bed, and i think it's because right before the print starts the little bit of filament hanging out of the extruder curls up and touches the base of the tip, creating a drag.

Is there a way to remedy this? Maybe my temp is too high for the first layer? 220 is what I'm running at with 85 for bed.

I wanted to post some pictures of the tip and bed height (from left to right it's just barely over 1 sheet of paper high, barely scraping the sheet), since it's my first 3d printer and i don't have any other references I thought i could use the forums eyes.

I also took a video showing of moving it over the sheet of paper:
    Code:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZuGKxS13pQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Clarence

Clarence New Member

I tried to embed the video, but here is the link instead for the browser

3. polylac

polylac New Member

Hi

how much space do you have between the nozzle and the bed?
    It looks like the filament is still round (diameter approx. 0.4-0.5mm, but should be less than 0.2mm = about 2 sheets of normal paper)

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Classic Z axis height issues. Read this thread: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/first-layer-issues.1005/

In particular, look at the photo from Tesseract as for the "squished" first layer look you should be striving for. Also you can try setting your Z height, let the skirt start to print, then hit EStop, move the head over, and remesasure your Z axis height. More than likely it's not RIGHT where you set it at due to the endstop switch not triggering exactly at the same spot. Adjust your endstop bolt, lather, rinse, repeat... until you are getting a good skirt. Then start working the rest of the first layer. If your skirt isn't right, the rest of the print won't be good for sure. Also know that because of the ooze from the hotend the first bit of your skirt will be light due to lack of material in the hotend until it's fed the rest of the way. Depending on how long your hotend was at temp and how much it oozed will dictate how much "prints" before you start seeing material come out correctly. Usually it's just an inch or two, but it can be a bit more or less... again, time depending.

5. Clarence

Clarence New Member

Can you control the filament diameter? I have it set to .4 because the manual said to enter that it.

6. Clarence

Clarence New Member

The picture Tesseract posted on that thread would be a dream come true for me. Ok, reading through that it means I can bring the tip down closer to the bed. I'll work the procedure you have Das Wookie. Hopefully tonight will be the night something cool gets made LOL.

7. polylac

polylac New Member

Sry I wasnt clear, the filament diameter should be 0.4mm
    but if it doesn't get pressed between the nozzle and the bed, then there must be more space thant that
    but between nozzle and bed it should be only 0.2mm (so the filament can't come out round)

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It isn't that hard to get to it is simply a matter of getting it close witht business card then lowering it and tehn doing a test print up to the skirts and then kill the print you do not have to use the e stop just do a normal kill that way everything is still ready to go and you turn the adjsutment screw for z a little bit and reprint the skirt

BASIC RULE: Look at the skirt if it is good then continue, if it is bad stop readjust the z height screw and restart the print following this rule again.

If you follow that rule eventually you will hit the spot that make your skirts look like that.

FILAMENT TOO HIGH:
    filament pulls off bed and drags behind extruder
    filament is very round
    filament if gently rubbed just after printing will come up
    filament loops wildly around the nozzle never touching the bed
    filament goes down but print eventually pops off the bed this could be other reasons as well but always look at the height first
    etc.
    NOTE :Filament that is too rounded will look nice as it sits on the bed right until it pops off.

FLAMENT TOO LOW
    no filament at all ----way too low could cause jams or clogs avoid this
    filament skips -----blob nothing nothing blob nothing nothing blob nothing nothing blob
    wagon tracks ------you can see the filament path but all you really see are the two outer edges and nothing in between them

FILAMENT GOOD as in the photo mentioned above filament id flattened and opaque or filled in solid. Translucent materials won't be opaque but they will be filled in. Flattened is the key. Filament that is too rounded will look nice as it stis on teh bed right until it pops off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.