1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Chunky first layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chas, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chas

Chas Member

I keep getting a bunch of little chunks in my base layer. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've attached a photo.

Attached Files:

2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Looks like old filament that came off of your hot-end. It tends to get trapped between the hot-end and the kapton tape that holds everything onto the hot-end.

3. Chas

Chas Member

I've restarted about 3 times now and it keeps happening, are you sure it's old filament? It's fairly cold in the room I'm in and I'm wondering if its being affected by the temperature.

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Am I 100% sure? Nope as I'm not in front of your printer. But those look exactly like the blotches I was getting with my yellow PLA. I watched as blobs and smears came off of the hot-end and onto the print.

5. Chas

Chas Member

Ahh gotcha. Seems to be doing better now. I turned the fan off so it just cools with the room temp and changed the filament flow from 100 to 95.

6. Chas

Chas Member

Actually, looks like you were totally right. There was a tiny piece of burnt plastic stuck in the bottom of the hot end :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.