1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Computer restart - Can I pick up a job from where I left off?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rusty, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Due to Windows updates which I now will turn off (thanks captain hindsight), jobs which take many hours to construct stop when the computer restarts.

Is there any way for me to determine what layer repetier was up to, and can I continue from where it left off?

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Before I got one of the XXL LCD controllers I had a few prints stop but Repetier was still up so I could read the Z height and fix things up from there but editing the G code.

Without that the only trick I can think of is to gently use the Repetier manual controls to move the nozzle over to the last layer and adjust the Z by 0.1mm increments until it matches. I hope you have good eyes;). Do this after homing the Z axis of course.

When you edit the G code be sure to include a Z lift move after the home all to get well above the already printed layers. Since motion is absolute by default if you cut out all the layers that were already done it should start up right were is stopped.

My son and I did this 3 times on a pretty large files before I finally got the LCD SD card reader. I really suggest it.
    Good luck

3. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Thanks Steve... I'm leaning towards the LCD but can't find a link for it on the Robo3D website.

I edited the g code manually, resetting all Z values to increments of 0.3. Fortunately there weren't too many to do. I was wondering though if someone has a script they can provide which resets all Z values to 0.3 or whatever may be needed? I've had a look online and this guy talks about making a script (http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/G-code) but doesn't actually provide one.

It's been a while since I've done programming of any kind and I know some people will say "well this is a prime opportunity for you to figure it out yourself" but I was hoping I could just skip to the end and get a pre-made script?

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Rusty,
    I'm sorry but I don't understand why you are resetting all the Z values to 0.3. I assumed you had a large print die in the middle and wanted to resume it. Remember that the default is for absolute coordinates.

Robo3D does not sell LCD controllers. There are three types available that I know of and they all have the same basic functionality. They are a standard one, XXL LCD and Full Graphic LCD. You can get the XXL and Graphic one from PrintedSolid.com and Reprapdiscount.com. You can also find some on ebay. Mine was from Printed Solid and I recommend them. The all have the same connector. search for ramps lcd for more detail.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

check out printedsolid.com Printed is one of our own here on the forum and hells lots of thing on his website the XXL LCD is one of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.