1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Could Robo3D be sensitive to power surges/spikes?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by da9l, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da9l

da9l Member

Hi!

I've got my robo hooked up on 230V via a powerstrip. In the same strip I have a 60W classical lightbulb floor lamp connected.

The thing is that during print my laptop has lost the contact with robo at exact the same moment I switched the lamp off, twice! The first time I thought it was just a fluke but yesterday evening it happend for the second time. Luckily it happend during the first layer, because the only way to get it online again is to turn the robo off and on again and then, not knowing how to resume the print job, I had to stop it.

I'd guess I could get a better lamp but I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?

Regards, Daniel

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you might be right with regard to the lamp I think with me be happening is you may have a surge protection circuit in that power strip and when you turn off the lamp that change somehow activates the surge circuitry and causes an intermittent disconnect

3. da9l

da9l Member

As far as I know this power strip does not have any surge protector. Couldn't it be the surge itself from the lamp that causes the problem?

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yeah it vould be a surge that occurs when the lamps goes on and off but if you are going to have this plugged into a power strip I would put it on one with surge protection on it as it does have electronics boards which could be compromised

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Daniel, I had a similar issue with my ultimaker when I was running on USB. I had a floor fan on the same circuit. Everytime I would turn the floor fan off, the USB connection would die. No issues since I've switched it over to a controller and run off of SD card.

6. polylac

polylac New Member

Ok then the problem is the USB connection. Maybe the the switch causes a electromagnetic pulse storng enough to disturb this connection.
    The power supply of the robo can't be that sensitive. It's strong and on the output side it has big capacitors (DC stabilisators).

maybe a shielded cable could solve that problem too.

7. da9l

da9l Member

Thanks for the feedback!
    The laptop driving the robo via USB is of course connected to the same strip.

Polylac, do you mean a shielded USB cable?

Skickat från min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk 4

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You do have a few seemingly important devices hooked to the same power strip using it with out some kind of surge protection. You could end up with some pretty nasty things happening if a surge were to occur. Most power strips here have that as an automatic feature I am surprised that is not common where you live. This lamp situation is a good example at least you devices could get some protection.

Does the same thing happen when other items using that power strip are turned off or on. If not I would replace the lamp as that is not safe in the first place. If it the case then some other means of getting -clean- power should probably be looked at.

9. polylac

polylac New Member

@ da9l

yes, but I'm just guessing. I don't know if this will solfe the problem or if it's spmething else.
    It's strange that this happens anyway...

10. da9l

da9l Member

Ok, now I've bought powerstrips with surge protectors and a double shielded USB cable. Now I just need some time to test it.

Thanks everyone for the support and good ideas!
    Regards, Daniel

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well the surge protects will help protect the equipment at least not sure about the USB connectivity though but it may help there as well. It would be interesting to see what your power line looks like on a scope when turning things off and on in that circuit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.