1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

"Crud" buildup on subsequent layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Das Wookie, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I need help... I'm having problems with layer buildup of crud and can't figure out what to change to get it to extrude less.

I've been changing the advanced setting on extrusion width, and that's helping, but now I've reached the maximum that will help and am just getting gaps between each extruded "track" but it's still building up too much. More heat?

If I up the heat, I get REALLY bad stringing, but maybe that's just that and my filament is crap... I dunno.

I've no idea what else to change tho...

I can't print the 20mm cube at solid tho. It's buildup of crud gets so bad, by the 10th layer or so the head is bashing the buildup and causing layer shift.

My first layer is perfect. No extra buildup no gaps no problems.

2. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Jeff spent almost 4 hours with me in Skype and we think we have the problem licked... the end result is it looks like it is a Z height issue.

I need to go back to basic setup and get a solid 15mm test cube printed and calibrate my motors as well, and until I can print a solid test cube, need to stop beating my head against the wall with trying to fiddle with other settings and just leave them at stock, fix my Z, and my problems SHOULD be solved.

Jeff, thank you thank you thank you for all your help and patience today!!!!

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

no problem glad I could help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.