1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder ripping project off bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Casey, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey

Casey New Member

I just got my printer last night and used the forum to figure out why my PLA wouldn't stick. Now a problem I am having is with the extruder ripping the project off the bed. I have the speed set very low (30mm/s for everything) while I am working on getting a good print. The first layer prints just fine, but when the second layer starts the extruder speeds way up and rips the skirt and project right off. The project I am working with right now is the 15mm test cube with a .3mm resolution.

Anyone know what I am missing?

2. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

new on the block too, but a thought is to check you have your heat bed set/ tied down fully, as I once had the glass sitting partially on a screw-down clip meaning the extruder could come into contact with the bed..

3. Casey

Casey New Member

I checked to make sure that everything is tight. Still have that problem. I printed out some more 15mm cubes to see what they had to say. The sides measure 15.15 x 15.05 x 13.82mm. It looks like the extruder isn't going up far enough with each layer. Is there any way to adjust the vertical gain or something?

Also, the prints I was able to make had a lot to do with dumb luck and me tweaking settings just to see what they do. Does anyone have a slic3r settings file that works well for them that I could have for the Robo 3D as a reference?

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

the defaults in your getting started are a good starting point. Really tho, so much depends on your specific filament that it's almost impossible to hand you settings from somebody else. I've had settings radically change just from changing spools even keeping with the same type (PLA vs ABS) and color (blue to blue, not even changing like from blue to red or black or yellow or... etc) due to variation in the specific roll. This is even filament supplied by the same supplier at the same time. You just gotta experiment and see what works. If you are REALLY stuck, try a different spool and see if that one is any easier. I've got one spool that I have YET to get a good print from, but the spool prior to it was working great. I'm about the toss that spool int he bin and go to another actually.

5. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Das thank you. Your comments about the muddled nature of filament character is irritating but honest I suggest and not what we ( the learners) are being told. And what I suspect now is a more real picture of 3d printing (or so my new experience is showing me quickly) is - this is not a simple 1,2,3 easy step process into 3D but all grey and challenging. I suspect there is quite an underswell with new Robo3Ders happening that is not pleasant; that we have been painted an easy 'consumer' 3d printer (which in it self is close to) but the process to printing successfully is a lot of trial and error. This is my experience so far and the forum seems to reflect this a bit too. I am not trying to disillusion anyone but suggest the instant fix might not be immediate but requires a work through until a base knowledge/experience is accrued. I am disappointed about the variance in filament as it IS sold a consistent in quality. In a week 3 rolls of abs appear to be each responding differently.

I am starting to ramble.

Das are you able to dumb down to a rough procedure as to what you do to find a filaments 'sweet spot' (if you have one) because no training manual is going to do this and really what I am needing to do is find a way of orderly working my way to getting to that spot where a filament will print with ease? I'll shutup now. :)

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The measurement you made really have no bearing on your issue as your print will simply be condensed or stretched in the exact same way that original cube was from its starting dimmension of 15.0x 15.0 x 15.0 so according to numbers above

X will be stretched by 1%
    Y will be stretched by .3%
    Z will be contracted by 8%

I just put a post up that pretty much explains what you are seeing and why
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/come-on-i-dare-ya-put-me-down-again.1326/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.