1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruding problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Crihfield, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Crihfield

Robert Crihfield New Member

Brand new Robo3D and no filament has been run through yet. I can't seem to start the filament for extrusion. The filament seems to hit metal but never melts. The nozzle gives of warmth so the extruder seems to be working.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Robert,
    It might be stuck on the edge of the PTFE tube or the screw that holds it in. Make sure you trim the filament diagonally or to a point before inserting it. Usually the filament gets stuck on that ridge a bit. Try straightening the filament out by hand to get rid of the curl from the reel. Also give it a twist. That can help it get past the ridge.

There should be about 6.5cm between the hobbed bolt and the melt zone. If it is going in this far then you have another problem.

3. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

What the temperature are you using?
    What filament are you using?
    How far does it go down when you load the filament in? A few mm? An inch?

4. Robert Crihfield

210c
    PLA
    1/4 past flush of the whole

5. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

Take out the filament, cut it at an angle so it's got a point and try push it down. It is loaded when it starts extruding from you pushing it down.

6. Robert Crihfield

I think it's something more then a cut bevel in the filament. Loading filament shouldn't be this hard anyway.

7. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

It's abit fidgety with the stock but when you move onto e3d it's Easyer

8. Robert Crihfield

Used a new roll after messing with the sample filament. Worked first go no problem.

9. jeff n

jeff n New Member

Hi, I just got mine and I am having a problem loading filament as well. At first it was feeding fine, then it jammed. I pulled it out recut it, it worked for a little while then stopped and I cannot get it to go in far enough anymore. I have tried a new roll of filament, that has not worked either. I found some sticker residue on the sample filament from packing. I am now thinking that there could have been more residue on previous loops of this filament and is blocking up the filament feed pathway. does anybody have any ideals how I can check/fix this problem? I am using PLA I have turned the temp up from 190 to 230 thinking that it might help, it did not.

10. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Try removing the 2 screws with springs that tension the filament against the hobbed bolt. After the hot end is fully hot, feed the filament by hand until you get a nice flow, then replace the screws. If you can't get a good flow by hand, there is a blockage. While you have the hobbed bolt exposed, clean out any powder residue with a small brush.
    Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.