1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament not feeding correctly, feeder alignment problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Steve pointon, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

Firstly, Mike may i thank you for being so helpful when my wife picked my printer up on Friday. Now to my problem, the filament isn't being fed at the correct rate into the extruder head. Now as an Engineer myself (10 years aerospace design, 3 years for a major tool manufacturer and 10 years+ for a gas turbine manufacturer) I set about trying to establish why this is and I believe I have found it to be one of two possible causes or even the first only made worst by the second.

1) The shaft that has the knurled portion that grips the filament floats around horizontally meaning the knurled section hardly makes contact with the filament at times causing loss of feed and a scrapped print. The shaft looks as if it floats about 1.5mm (1/16 if an inch for those still using imperial units). This could be fixed by adding a washer to the left hand side of the assembly between the left hand bearing and the nut holding the drive gear in place (this would also protect the side of the left bearing) to reduce the amount of overall float ( this would be like the washer between the right hand bearing and the hex head of the drive bolt). All left/right descriptors are as if one was looking at the rear of the machine.
    correct alignment.jpg wrong alignment.jpg .
    The first shot shows the correct position for the drive bolt and the second the wrong position. The filament, when the guide/pressure bearing is closed, is actually about 1mm to the left of the shown position so is missing the knurled portion entirely.
    The drive gear that fits on the end of this shaft moves around an awful lot as well. Also as an engineer I was surprised to find the shaft could slip within its bearings as this means the bearings are either oversize or the shaft is undersized in diameter. This will lead to excess wear of the shaft or the bearing I/D.

2) The pressure bearing that holds the filament against the drive bolt is very tight and hard to turn and instead of helping the filament progress into the extruder it is in fact holding it back.

During a print, i did a test to show that the filament is not feeding:
    1) I placed a small piece of masking tape on the filament and it did not move showing the filament was not feeding.
    2) I put a mark on the pressure bearing O/D using a magic marker and it showed the bearing was not turning.

HELP!! Thank you.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The hobbed bolt you have is the standard one that comes witht he printer and it works most of the time in your case I would get a recessed or grooved hobbed bolt it has a groove in its center that works to keep teh filaments center and working smoothly you can find them on ebay ralatively cheap probably less then $10 and they usually work pretty well just make sure you get one for 1.75 filament size and you should be fine it is about a 5 minute job to replace it and many here have already done so. This will probably fix your issue quite easily

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

In addition to the hobbed bolt, if that doesn't do the trick, you might also try something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31274
    As for filament ease of changing, there is a feeder called the EZ Struder that replaces the whole springy screws assembly. My printer should be going through US customs right now (hope springs) and these are upgrades in my future. I'm pretty sure that millimeter precision assembly will be more "ball park" than exact.

4. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

It's one thing to upgrade a purchase to get far better performance but to pay good money to rectify a design fault that makes the printer un-usable NO WAY! The extruder in this case DOES NOT WORK!! If you bought a car and the transmission refused to go into drive, you would feel cheated if you were told "oh you now need to upgrade this brand new car to make it work" well this is the same . The Guys at robo 3d need to retrofit their design to make it fit for purpose. As an engineer I have seen problems like this ignored time and time again and that's why american industry is in decline because of a "I don't care" attitude. I feel cheated and if i don't get satisfaction intend to return the printer by the end of the week.

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Steve, while I understand your disappointment, it seems to come at the end of a series of similar disappointments in other products through time. Personally, I understood that I was buying a very inexpensive printer that was in its first development iteration and that, as such, it would likely need some modifications to get it to my satisfaction. Further, that very hobbed bolt setup has worked well enough for many and it is churning out some remarkable end products. If something this relatively insignificant is going to tip your scales so radically, perhaps you are right - this may not be the system for you. What I see is that the RoBo team has been watching closely and made ongoing improvements that are primarily being implemented in RoBo v.2 but a number of which have already been incorporated into v.1. Far from "not caring," these guys seem to be making a genuine effort to get the enterprise off the ground. Sorry you feel cheated instead of an active participant in the emerging dynamic of 3D printing.

2 people like this.
  6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

There are other things that can contribute to this in addition to original hobbed bolt. I stated that many did go with the new one but even more have not and they are printing fine. In fact there are many other printers that do not use it all. I was simply giveing a possible solution to your issue not the only one. The Robo 3D printer is a good little printer ang I have seen many new users come to the wrong conclusion as to what is happening. There are also many different solutions for some of these things. This is not a like a microwave oven it most likely will not work perfectly right out of the box. it needs to be setup properly in order to get prints to come out correctly.

Some questions that you have not given answers to because you did not know to ask are is there any filament dust around the point where the filament goes into the hotend?

Are there any grooves in the unmelted filament?

Are the teeth of the hobbed bolt caked with filament?

Can filament be pushed through manually when then hotend is heated and the extruder open?

All of these can lead to filament not running properly and I would look carefully at things and give the printer and the ROBO team a chance you got the printer Friday. I took me a couple days to walk another new user through the full correct setup process so unless you have had help or are completely familiar with 3d printing I can easily see that you may have come into problems that are unfamiliar to you and I would ask for assistance as you did but also communicate with the ROBO team.

7. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

OK here are the answers to your questions
    1) nope no filament dust in the bottom of the feed mechanism
    2) nope there are no bite marks on the unmelted filament blow the contact point with the hobbed bolt.
    3) as can be seen from the photos there is no caked filament material in the hobbed grooves.
    4) if i manually take controll of the print head and heat it to 190 then manualy push the fillament into the print head I get a nice regular string of material coming out of the print head.

when the printer is running it is possible to apply pressure to the filament and get the extruder head to work but

I have been involved in various forms of 3D printing for the past 20 years and come from a background in product development. Personally I want to see the ROBO 3D team prosper and I am willing to Help them in any way possible, including offering my after work services to help overcome the initial teathing problems that they might encounter. Since i live in the same city as ROBO3D is based i don't mind offering my machine as a field test and evalution unit if they so wish so they can test field modifications

I would like to know is it normal for the rear pressure bearing not to turn during opperation and to be so stiff that it wont turn smoothly when the mechanism is open?

I have noticed a number of upgrades that have a groove cut in that bearing to hold the filament in alignment with the hobbed portion of the bolt. This looks like a good partial solution.

Frankly i think using a bolt with a quite large shaft diameter tollerance to run within 2 high accuracy bearings to be a non optimal design . Bearings need a shaft diameter that is mached closely to the bearing I/D size. I am trying to find someone with a lathe to make a replacement shaft so that the shaft bearing diameters can be matched to the I/D of the bearings

Belive me i want to see ROBO 3D grow

Steve

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you do have the experience and I want to say most of the time when I see these questions I am dealing with some who does not have your experience. Thank you for the information. Now to some answers hopefully I can not test my rear pressure bearing right now as it is n the middle of a print but as far as I know it should move freely.

From what you are describing I do believe it is the hobbed bolt that is the issue I had the same thing occurring on my system and it was immediately cleared up when I replaced the bolt with a recessed one. Personally I have not seen the groove actually cut into the bearing but that would seem to work. I have seen multiple printers that do utilize the hobbed bolt both recessed and flat I also have seen where the entire assembly is replaced with a recesses hobbed gear that is placed directly on the motor that has a small bearing the rides against it there. I am not saying the grooved bearing isn't there I just have not seen it.

I would actually ask someone the shoutbox that is not printing at the moment and see if they can check for you many will if they are near their printer and not printing and i will also see what else i can find out about it as well.

9. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

Thanks Tesseract I know that with the help of this forum we can fix this problem and hopefully Robo 3d will see the mods being carried out by the users and incorporate them in the later machines

I found this item on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RepRap-Hobb...987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item485a6857db

is this the correct item to retrofit my extruder? i know i need a M8 metric bolt and that i need it to work with 1.75 filament but do i need the 25 or 28mm version? it has a replacement grooved bearing that i hope will help make the design better

If it is not the correct one can someone post a link here to one that is the right one, also can someone tell me how to remove the 8mm nut on the end of the bolt that retains the drive gear as I am afraid I might damage the gear.

I have also found a work colleague who has offered to make me a replacement shaft to my own specs and I am in the process of drawing up a shaft to do the job based on a steel blank from sdp-si.com the only problem is finding someway to hobb the drive section of the shaft.

1D1 I am rarely disappointed in the products I buy or better have professionally been involve in their development, but I have seen cases where a good product has failed because of a lack of attention to detail, and I would hate to see this happen with Robo 3D. I worked for a time for a major consumer tool manufacturer developing and productionizing new designs and for the initial release of a new design a return rate of >5% was considered bad . Most of the designs I was involved with had a returns rate of <1%. One of our competitors had a similar product that had a returns rate of >20% and they went under because they refused to modify there design and learn from the bad design and improve on it.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well that bolt has a an extreme groove in it and it comes with the grooved bearing as well to be honest that is way more than I think anyone at least that I know here did on thiers we did jus the simple recessed hobbed bolt and that has done great for us I do not know of anyone that has had an issue since swapping just the bolt I m sure that setup will work but we had to deal with tejust the m8 bolt and that was all I am not even sure about the 25 or 28 mm I assume tha tis the bolt length ours bollts came with washers and we just positioned the bolt with the washers loacted so the the grooved lined up directly with the hole...overall pretty lo tech but it seems tohave worked really well so far.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with this part but we'll get it going so it works

11. Shigemal

Shigemal Member

Hello I had similar problem on RoBo 3D printer.
    But I could recognized with my case has shown missing parts as below.
    Please confirm your case try to confirm your head detail.
    If you cannot see roller in movement parts side, please getting 22mm roller bearing and 8mm rid from RoBo3D.
    I have purchased it from Amazon. 22mm diameter and 7mm wide. M8 bis rid also necessary.

Attached Files:

12. Shigemal

Shigemal Member

You can see in yellow oval part. KOMA2.JPG

13. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

yup i have the bearing in place, i am just about to try and do another test print, unfortunately i have been delayed by family issues.

14. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

Okay, so now we have a few more clues to the problem.

I tried doing a print of a 5 mm step calibration cube, even though it was not a total success it does show a lot of information. It would appear that at the start of a print the extruder is working, but after one or two layers the supply of filament runs out.

DSC_0003edit.jpg

As can be seen from the above picture, the first couple of layers are being laid down correctly, but as the filament runs out the print fails.

Above the 2 failed prints you can see a section of filament that I pulled out of the extruder while still hot. The scalpel is pointing to the point where the filament was making contact with the drive bolt and clearly shows no evidence of teeth marks, even though the extruder head was fully tightened up. Also if you look closely you can see where the pressure bearing has left a slightly lighter mark on the other side of the filament.

I observed during these prints that the drive gear moves a lot on the drive bolt. Is this normal? Part of my engineering training was as an apprentice gear cutter/machinist. The situation with the gear being sloppy could lead to a situation of excess wear or premature failure.

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for removing the drive gear as I wish to tighten up the knot behind the gear and also add a washer between this nut and the extruder head to stop the entire assembly moving and allowing the filament from disengaging from the hobbed portion of the bolt.

15. Steve pointon

Steve pointon New Member

Well I finally broke down and got a new hobbed bolt on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181251969744

worth every penny just remember to spec the right distance to the hobbed section , i forgot but made a 12mm spacer to correct my error
    Now all i need do is fix my sliding glass bed, i have tempory fix of using paper shims to tighten the clamps

thanks to Tesseract and everyone else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.