1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by huskerfreak, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

I have the PLA RB3 and it has been working great until I switched brands and color filament. The printer will print the outer boarders of the part's first layer just fine then it when it would go to print the first layer of the field it would not stick like the nozzle is too high. Not sure how to fix this or whats going on.

2. Aaron bycroft

Aaron bycroft New Member

i would say give blue tape ago and if you are already doing that then wipe some windex on it makes it stick like there is no tomorrow but works really well

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Flow of different brand filaments or even different colors within the same brand can be different. you might need to increase or decrease temp.
    are the perimeter lines nice and smushed or are they like cylinders just barely squished into the plate?

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

What are you currently using to hold down the part anything. What if any is the bed temp and what temp are you extruding at? Can you upload an image so we can see what you are talking about.

There are quite a few reasons for filament not sticking so the more information given the better.

5. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I am using blue tape right now. I increased the temp by and 10* and sprayed the bed with Suave extra hold hair spray. Its all good in the hood now. I don't have heated bed. I did add some led lighting and looks great.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear it now you need to start posting some pics LOL

7. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

Will do on the pics. I think the only thing left that I need to figure out is how to get the boarder layers of first few layers to stick better to the parts. Just want the finish product to look a little more finished. Still looks a little rough. I think it comes down to me messing with temp speed and what not

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Without seeing anything at all I would GUESS that if you have first few layer issues it is a z height adjustment.

The first few layers are always the worst because of the inconsistencies that exist when these layers are put down if the first layer is too low then the second layer tends not to be embedded when it is put down to that it never really gets stuck to the first layer. If it is too high then the layers tend not to stick at all because the first layer is not really stick to anything and thus just gets moved out of the way when the next layer comes down on it.

What you want is the very first layer to be slight flattened against the bed that way it sticks and the printer settings about layer height are set to push the next layer down into the first layer somewhat so it actually bonds into it.

The first few layers go through a lot of tweaking as they get laid down but eventually things even out for the most part and subsequent layers seem to do just fine and that is what a lot of people see..The first few layers not so hot but then it start looking better. The problem is people thing it is like driving a car with the engine not warmed up a bit and that as it warms up it runs better so everything is kind of all right but this is not the case with 3d printing when you print you should be able to print great right from the start if all the settings are set correctly.

I use this next pic a lot because it shows some good things in it 2013-09-07 12.15.37.jpg
    First: The skirt nicely flattened and completely opaque so it is not too thin tells me the z height is on the mark
    Second: It also shows the consistency in the layer around the entire print so that tells me at least the part of the bed where this print is being laid done is nice and level to the nozzle tip
    Third: the single raised line in the upper area is where I was playing with the z axis manually and you can see what the full height of the filament would be if it was just sitting on the bed and not flattened, the difference between the other lines shows how flattened the good lines actually are.

So even though I stopped this print I could have let it go and it would have probably been just fine as the single line would have been compensated for by other layers.

I wish you continued good luck and hope this helps in some way

2 people like this.
  9. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

Thanks for that Tesseract, I haven't received my printer yet (shock horror) and this is my first post, but I think that example you just gave is exactly what newbies (such as myself) need. I have read for hours/days about what different problems look like and how to correct but an annotated picture is so much better. Much appreciated and I can't wait to get into it and use these tips in the near future!

10. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

I think that I am starting to get things down. I will try and post pics of some of my projects. One question I have is I have been making fine adjustments manually while the printer is laying down the skirt. I that ok to do or am I screwing up my adjustments for the next print or layer?

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That is actually the best place to do it since the first layers and the perimeters are going to have almost identical conditions you can verify what the first layer looks like and if it is bad stop it right there with wasting so much filament and time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.