1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer not retracting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Brian-UK, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

Hi I have been watching my printer now for a couple of prints and for some reason the nozzle is not retracting on the first layer for non print moves. It's leaving a thin line of PLA where ever it moves and it makes the first layer or two very blobby if I just leave it it's prints over the blobs eventually but does anyone know why it doesn't retract when its on in the settings for non print moves?

Thanks

Brian

2. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

It is possible you may not have the right height set on your axis. Try posting a picture so we can see what it looks like. Also, which software are you using?

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Are you printing a skirt? If so make it go around 4 times and as it is printing, adjust your height. Make sure it is a flat looking line not round. It needs to squish onto the glass bed. Sometimes the first round might be high and if it's too high it will not stick. Make adjustments so that the second time it is flat. Make sure to hold the z axis on one side as you turn the other. It's best to try it first with just paper. Notice that a slight turn does a lot.

Home everything.

I test with paper. I get it so that the paper is hard to pull out. Then slightly turn so that there is a slight drag.
    (Disengage the motor in Repetier)
    Move the carriage to the other side and do the test with the paper again while holding the other side. Move to the middle and test. Now start the test again till you are sure there is a slight drag to your paper on all three points.

Home again and start the print.

Watch the first line and do any adjustment if necessary. If the line looks flat it's good to go. If there is nothing on the bed then you are too low. Adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  4. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

I have it flat and the print is sticking but when it does the first layer and it is moving when NOT printing it's not retracting and leaving a very thin line of filament across the print and then when it does the next layers they are very thin and the pla is being pushed out of the side once it gets to the 3rd or 4th layers its fine and eventually fills over the blobs. I need to film it I think. I might just raise it up a bit if anything.

Thanks for the advice I think I need to go an play a bit :)

Regards

Brian

5. cosber

cosber Active Member

In all the instructions and tips for setting the z-axis with paper, this is the first time I've seen someone mention how much resistance on the paper. Thanks for that.

6. scotta

scotta Active Member

Brian, I had something similar on a print i did ages ago. Was using repetier and it would appear that it print the first layer, possibly the second, the go down and print the next. Basically destroying everything. Never did get to the bottom of it. It seemed to disappear. I would suggest, get the latest version of repetier. Check all the settings in repetier.
    Also try using cura to see if it does the same.

7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I set my first layer to 0.35
    I use 0.2046 for the actual later height.

I also make the z axis retract 0.3 in the extruder setting.

Try that. PLA 190,
    bed 55, then put it to 0. Heat the bed again to get the part off, around 180

Lately my filament is coming out brittle like. Not sure if it's because the filament absorbed moisture or the temp is too high/ low?

After printing for a few weeks straight I need to go back to checking all belts and screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Brian-UK

Brian-UK New Member

I'll check what my z axis retraction is set too but I have dropped the temp to 180 and it's helped massively I'm still learning and I left the heatbed on the other day on a 5.5hr print and when I took the item off the bed it warped badly but I will try again tomorrow with the bed hot to start then off after that I suspected that leaving it on using PLA was the issue. Still haven't fitted my E3D hot end that's another job for tomorrow

All the tips are appreciated :)

Thanks

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.