1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First print, blobs on 2 out of 4 corners

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Invertmast, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

I got my Robo today and promptly started getting it setup (which took all of about 10 minutes).. Everything showed up great, so it was time to print the Cube included with the matter control software.

The first one i did I just used the stock PLA settings and it turned out ok.. blobs on all four corners though. The second one i just upped the temp of the extruder to 205 since 205-210 seems to be the sweet spot most have with the Blue PLA robo includes. That print was better with the blobs only being on the front two corners of the cube.

The third (which is actually what I have photo's posted off) I turned the heated bed on to 50*c upped the extruder to 210*c and removed the 3mm of retraction. This one still has blobs on the front Two corners of the cube. The rear two corners are 99% perfect. The front left corner which has some blobbing is also perfect for the first 15-25 layers (.2mm layer height).

overall, I am very pleased with the Robo, it has been super easy to setup and so far is working great.

So,
    Now would anyone like to make some suggestions on helping to get rid of the blobs?

Just for Info, Nothing has been doing (other than the temp changes).. I have literally pulled it out of the box, installed the software, selected the cube and pressed "print". No calibrations of the extruder or Axis' at all..

Thanks,
    Thoams

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Slow the print down. With an item this small the front of the print doesn't have enough time to cool before the next layer comes around. This compounds over time to create a pulling effect on the front corners.

2 people like this.
  3. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

I'll give that a try.. any idea why it doesn't do it on all four corners then?

4. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Due to the small size of the print the back corners have the fan on them almost constantly so they cool faster.

4 people like this.
  5. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Ahhh.. That makes perfect sense now.. Thanks

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Welcome to the forum and the Robo3D community.
    Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you but I'm interested in people's proposed solutions.

7. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

After 4 prints or so the stock extruder started oozing from betwewn the heatsink and heater block. Luckily i knew of and expected this, so i already had the new E3D v6 extruder waiting to be installed. I just didnt expect it to be put it the same say as i got the printer.. Oh well.

So after installing the E3D and only making firmware changes, the prints are much more consistent snd the corner blobs are gone. It'll be cool to see what kind of details i can get out of the E3D with the .25mm nozzle.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  8. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Nice!

That's one upgrade I'll probably be making soon as well.

9. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Totally worth it! I'm glad i had to do it when I did. I'm working out a print right now that was impossible with the stock extruder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.