1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Flashing Taurino w/ Ramps with firmware

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Melody Bliss, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

I had to order a new Taurino board w/ Ramps 1.4 (after I shorted mine out doing something stupid. sigh).

Is there any gotchas flashing this board with firmware? Do I need to use a specific version of the Arduino programmer software?

Is the Marlin version that Robo3D uses in Git somewhere? I looked at github but I don't see a version specific to Robo3D. Just the ErikZalm version of Marlin.

2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Just grab v1.0.5 from the Arduino site. I'm not sure where but the Robo guys uploaded a version to this site.

You'll need to edit it anyway as you'll have to override the max temperature setting to seat the nozzle on the E3D. I also recommend switching to EEPROM parameter storage so y0u don't have to reflash if you make changes to the system.

I've uploaded their version and then the one I modified based on the Robo config file and the latest Marlin firmware as of early November 2013. NOTE: My configuration.h has the EEPROM storage turned on AND the Z axis ENDSTOP is flipped for my hall effect sensor. You'd need to flip that back to use my version without the hall effect.

Attached Files:

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The reason I asked is I saw on another forum that they recommended using an older version of the Arduino software to build. But thanks for letting me know 1.0.5 works fine. :)

I modified my Configuration.h file to increase the max temp. :)

Leon, I've also made a branch in my github repository for your changes. I think I like yours over mine. You can see it in github at:

https://github.com/melodybliss/Marlin/blob/Marlin_v1_Leon/Marlin/

4. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

One more thing I forgot to note. Mine is setup for the Viki LCD and not the rep rap discount LCD most others are using.

5. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

ok. Updated README.md :)

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

What is the process to update firmware ?
    I was clicking my repetier menus but not sure if anything took place.

7. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Hi tonycstech. Instead of reposting the instructions, please see the Section B.9. of the FAQ at http://melodybliss.org/robo3d/ :)

Let us know if you have any questions. Also if you find an error in the instructions or if something is not clear, please let me know so I can correct it.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Hey awesome thanks.
    BTW do u know what nozzle model printer uses ?
    i ruined mine within 1st day and need another. Mine came without PTFE tube in the hotend causing it to clog all the time. And because i didnt know any better, i kept on cleaning it untill i finaly ruined it :)

Gotta find one on Ebay or something, tech support takes a while to respond and its been bad enough that it came with a broken bed, bent rod and missing PTFE tube.
    I am getting new bed from tech support but nozzle am not sure they will replace since it was kinda my fault that it broke even though it..... well you know.

Thanks.

9. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The nozzle on the Robo 3D is 0.4mm. However, on the stock Robo 3D hot-end, the nozzle is part of the heater block and cannot be separated.

A better option is an all metal hot-end like the E3D (though there are others out there). The E3D seems to be the hot-end of choice for those changing out the Robo 3D hot-end. Because it is all metal, there is no ptfe tube or other plastic that gets melted.

You can see where to get the E3D on the FAQ page. See section C.2. and there's a brief description on what you need to do to install it on the Robo 3D

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

11. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Those are both J-Head mounts so they should work. But they still use plastic so if you get the hot-end too hot it will melt and destroy the hot-end. If you have an issue with filament in the hot-end, if it gets stuck, you can heat an all-metal hot-end to a blistering temperature and carbonize the stuck filament.

Really though it is up to you though as it is your printer. But those two hot-ends should work as they are J-Head mounts.

12. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Awesome thanks :)
    Support just replied, problem solved.
    I learned allot today thanks to you and this forum.
    Thanks

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Comment on flashing tutorial you sent me.
    #1 Cant find Robo 3D firmware to download
    #2 Load means "Open" in file menu ?
    #3 Marlin_LCD.ino is no where to be found. "arduino-1.0.5-windows" does not have it in its folders.
    Why does it say LCD ? I dont have any lcd on my printer.

14. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Hi tonycstech.

Answer to #1. I just updated the FAQ so that it mentions that you can look at section A.3. of the FAQ to find the firmware link.

Answer to #2. Yes, it is "Open" under the "File" menu.

Answer to #3. You'll find Marlin_LCD.ino once you unzip the Robo 3D firmware file. The firmware is distributed in source format since different types of computers may build it slightly differently dependent on the cross compiler. It has LCD in the name because it shows that it has LCD support if you decide to get a RepRap Discount LCD Controller (or a ViKi LCD though you'll need to make source code changes if you get a ViKi). It has the RepRap Discount LCD Controller code native. If you get one and plug it in, with this firmware it'll support it natively.

15. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Thank you. Successfully flashed.

It was hard to find things i needed to follow steps.
    Not because you didnt have them there, but because links were not listed in steps.

Standard expectation from "how to do things" is:
    #1 download this program called "program name"(Link)
    #2 download this file called "filename" (link)
    #3 open program and do this and that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.