1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

For all those printing right now

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

what if you wanted to to change to a different medium say from ABS to PLA how much material is wasted in the exchange I would think that there is material in the extruder at that point

So do you just turn it on to extrude the last bits and then put new filament in and print more until it comes out pure

I guess you can ask how much is in limbo at any given time stuff that has been melted but not extruded

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Changing between materials doesn't result in too much waste because you can pull the 'old' filament out and leave only a small amount behind in the nozzle. I use a small allen wrench to push out as much residual material as I can before making a change.
    PLA oozes out pretty cleanly and quickly at ABS processing temps.
    Switching from ABS to PLA might take a little longer, but I've never really noticed a significant amount of time required.

Changing between colors of the same material type on the fly (z-axis changes) results in a little more waste so that you can get a clean color after the change. Maybe a minute of extrusion? I've never actually measured the waste, but its probably less than a meter. I've actually never done a z-axis pla change, but its probably less than with ABS due to the oozing.

3. Electrocutioner

Electrocutioner New Member

depends on lots of factors. same plastic, not much. im working on an RGB mixing hot end that will mix/change colors on the fly. higher temp to lower temp is the most problematic, you need to run the head hot enough to push through the old material with the new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.