1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

GcodePrinter android app?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dbvanhorn, Apr 20, 2015.

1. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Is there anyone on here who has used this?

I've been playing with several linux distros, and getting frustrated with the seemingly endless layers of "But first you have to...." to get anything done.

I have a number of older android phones which would look pretty good as a control panel for the printer.

2. Virgil

Virgil New Member

I'm using it with a tablet (an old Asus 7 in) at the moment. Whatever you use it must support USBOTG or you will need to use bluetooth which would require you to add that to your Robo. Use the free app first to make sure it works. In my case I made an OTG cable which added power as well to keep the tablet charged while printing - otherwise I suspect the print would fail when the tablet battery died. I run an FTP server on the tablet. I am a linux user and decided i would rather not tie up my laptop during longer prints. So I slice with Slic3r and transfer the gcode files to the tablet via FTP. The app works well, but the Icons are not very intuitive and the color scheme leaves much to be desired. But since I had the tablet gathering dust anyway... not a bad solution.

I am a bit curious about your linux issues. The only thing I did was change the serial baud rate and reflash. Pronterface did not even require that - it connected at the default rate. Repetier did not like it, though. You may still need to do that - change the baud rate - to get the Android app to work. As I already had done that I don't know if the app supports the default rate or not. Just try the free version first to control your Robo before buying the full version.