1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

getting extra material when printing PLA via heated bed...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Melody Bliss, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

So I've noticed that when print using PLA onto a heated bed I'm getting extra material. Is this a form of support material?

For example, Mr. Jaws:
    [​IMG]

Another angle:

[​IMG]

But if I don't use a heated bed I don't get this little outline of material:

(using 15mm cube here since Mr. Jaws fails when I don't use a heated bed to stick the PLA to the glass)

[​IMG]

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok just so you knowif you are using a heated bed to get PLA to stick then your nozzle is still too high from the bed PLA will stick to the bed with just hairspray and glass not heat at all if the z height is set properly.

I have helped many many people with this single issue
    it is much easier to do via Skype as we can share setup images and IM.

It takes about an hour maybe on hour and a half if we do it from scratch and things go very smoothly
    look me up on skype at Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract send me a contact request and I can get you setup pretty quickly

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The PLA is sticking to the bed without using the heated bed, however, after several layers it has a tendency to come off the plate.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it still is too high then

everyone kids me about posting this because I have done it so often but here is a very good example of what the skirt should look like when it prints..

My rule make it look like this if it doesn't stop the print right then and readjust and tehn restart until you get the skirt to look like this one this skirt is actually two loops but it is flattened enough and solid enough to make it look like one. That is the key flattened and still solid

first layer example-small.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.