1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Globs & Adhesieve

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Randy Merrell, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

I'm having pretty good success printing but...

About half way through some items I get a small blob on the object. The blob hardens and the extruder hits it and knocks the object loose. Suggestions?

Also and maybe a contributing factor in the above problem. My wife's hairspray although labeled Ultra Strong does not seem to hold the parts very strong to the print bed. Any suggestions for a better adhesive.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you have a couple things to take note of:

You mention a blob make sure the your nozzle and heat block are very tight in the housing filament should only be coming out iof the nozzle tip if you see ANY other source the you may have some loose points that need to be tightened down If you do these will have to be done while the nozzle is hot. I mention this because some else just had this issue and spent time on trying to fix it before they let us know where teh excess blobish material was coming from...they had a loose setup and once fixed it started working alot better.

Item two you mention hairspray but you don't mention the chems in it there are two chems that have been identified as being the main reasop why hairspray works without at least one of these in it the hairspray usually does nothing much

VA/Crotonates/Vinyl Neodecanoate Copolymer

Acrylates Copolymer

so check your hairpspray for these two chems. Aquanet does use them and works quite well

Thirdly, the most important aspect of all things when making 3d prints is the first layer height if this is wrong it will fail the main thin that is different is when it will fail.

Here are two images the first is a pic of what good first layers should probably look like
    the second is a breakdown showing crossviews of the filamentat different heights the goal is number 4. 5 can have success but can fail as well any of the other conditions will mostlike fail fairly early so take a look at them asd see where you think you are. In number 4 the filament is put down close to the bedso that it is actually flattened out endough so the when the next line gets laid down next to it the side actually touch and join together this is what you see in teh skirt of the first image( the outermost rings) it is made up of two loops but they are put down in a manner that thay actually form a single line that is your goal.

_first layer example-text.jpg
    _filamentcross.jpg

2 people like this.
  3. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

Thanks! Adjusted Z and already getting better results. I will get the right hair spray and look forward to more improvement.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Congrats I know you will

2 people like this.
  5. Randy Merrell

Randy Merrell Member

I finally solved the blob problem. The head was loose. I don't know how to describe it. I tightened the black finned piece into the block while hot. As suggested by Tesseract above. I guess the first time I read this I focused on the height issue. I removed the tape tightened the pieces and no more globs of material hanging down. Yea!

6. collin

collin New Member

you might want to look for the auto bed leveling hardware, itll save you a hell of a lot of time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.