1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Got Printer working now my prints come out messed up a bit..

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Omegagundam, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

I was able to get my printer calibrated right
    Now my problem is that my prints are not soo nice.
    this is what the left bracket that i am printing looks like.
    i printed it out to hold the long bolts steady and it for some reason printed over the whole so i had to cut away and drill a hole so i can slide it over the bolt.
    its doing the same on the left bracket and i also noticed on the left one when the first layer was going down it didnt lay much plastic down in the center of the object but around the sides it. did what can be the cause of this?
    20141004_171448.jpg 20141004_171448.jpg 20141004_171512.jpg 20141004_171530.jpg 20141004_171558.jpg 20141004_171629.jpg

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It looks like you're running a combination of too hot, too fast, and not enough cooling. From the base, it looks like there might not be enough top layers / infill too low (all those potholes in the top surface). From your description of not much material in the center, but some on the sides, you could potentially have the insides and outsides flipped on some surfaces.
    What settings are you running at and which model is this?

2 people like this.
  3. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Hello
    and thank you for replying... Ill try and answer you best i can. I am sorta new to the settings and stuff
    I have the R1 and i just got it like 5-6 days ago. when it heats up i know the nozzle is 210 degrees and the bed like 55 then i thinks drops to 50
    I only been using pla thus far and have not yet tried to do any abs just yet.
    i know the small fan is always on and at times the big fan will pop on now and then i think it does when the nozzle is hot.
    I took screen shots of the settings soo i hope i am showing you the right things that you are asking for

settings1.jpg settings2.jpg settings3.jpg settings4.jpg settings5.jpg settings6.jpg settings7.jpg settings8.jpg

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Would you mind also posting a link to the model and a screenshot of the filament tab with all settings visible?

Some things I see in your screenshots (going through them from right to left):
    Extrusion width for the first layer is set at 1. I believe this means that you're telling it that your first layer width is 1mm. You don't want that. I'd change it back to 0.

On the support tab, this print really shouldn't need much or any support material. You could increase the angle or just uncheck generate support.

While you're getting comfortable with the machine, you may want to turn the speeds way down. Even as low as 30. This isn't necessary, but not a bad idea to start with. Also, you may want to consider putting in a low number like 800 into the acceleration values (all of them), again, just until you get comfortable with the printer. Longer term, you should think about getting an LCD so that you can easily adjust this per model.

Perimeters should probably be at more like 3-4 for something structural like this.

The layer height is set to 0.1, the default for high quality. This model definitely doesn't need it. I'd drop it down to medium or even low or override layer height. A layer height of 200-300 will be fine.

5. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Thank you!
    The part i got is from a guy who has a robo 3D and made a video on youtube about fixing small problems for the robo3D
    the parts I downloaded are in his comments tab. I have yet to try and print the holder for the plastic spool.
    here is his video...
    here is the direct link to the part
    Z Axis Stabilizers [http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126873]

here are the settings for the filaments you requested

settings9.jpg settings10.jpg

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Barnacules does awesome videos. This particular one is a bit dated though. Robo has made some changes since then.
    FWIW, if you have a brand new robo, they have a reinforcement built in so that there is no need to print the stabilizers. they also have improved the board cooling.
    Their new hot end is much better than what he had in that video. They now use the reprap discount hexagon, which is respectable, although the E3D is still an improvement.

That model is find and your filament settings look fine. Make sure that the parts cooling fan is running well throughout the print. It should be based on those settings. If it's not you might have a loose connection somewhere.

7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Try later height 0.2046

Here are my settings:

Robo3d settings

Using Matter Control
    Layer height 0.2046 or 0.246
    First layer 0.3
    Parameters 6
    Top layer 5
    Bottom 5
    Generate extra parameters when needed
    Start at non overhang
    Thin walls
    External parameters first

Infill 0.3
    Infill every 1
    Only infill when needed
    Fill pattern Rectilinear
    Top/Bot fill Rectilinear
    Infill every 1 layer
    Only infill when needed
    Solid infill every 0 layers
    Starting angle 45
    Solid infill threshold 70

Speed
    Everything at 50 except
    Outside perimeter 70%
    Gap fill 45
    Min print speed 30
    Travel 125
    First layer speed 50%

Skirt and Brim
    Loops 2
    Distance 6
    Skirt height 2
    Non extrusion length 1
    Brim 0

Support
    Overhang 89
    Enforce support 0
    Raft 2 layers

Options
    Pattern Rectilinear
    Pattern spacing 2.5
    Starting angle 0
    Interface layers 3
    Interface spacing 0
    Z gap 1

Output options
    Wipe 0
    Adv first layer 150%

Flow
    Bridge flow 1

Other
    Threads 2
    Res 0
    Extrusion axis E
    Optimize overhangs

Filament
    Diameter 1.75
    Ext multi 1
    Ext first layer 190
    Ext temp 190
    Bed first layer 55
    Bed temp 0

Printer
    Bed size 228.6 x 254
    Print centre 114.3 x 127
    Build height 203.2
    Z offset 0
    Bed shape rectangular
    Firmware reprap

Extruder
    Nozzle 0.4
    Ext offset 0

Retract
    Length 1
    Change tool 10
    Z lift 0.12
    Speed 35
    Extra length 0
    Min travel 2
    Retract on layer change
    Retraction when disabled 10
    Extra length 0

Everything I posted should be entered. If I did not post it, leave it unchecked or at default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

8. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Kewl thank you you guys! im gonna work on it this evening
    very much appreciate your help!

9. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Hello Peter i inputted your setting in on my R1 but not sure exactly if i did it right
    this is what my part now looks like

20141011_103402.jpg 20141011_103416.jpg 20141011_103436.jpg

it was ran on high and its a cartridge for a gun from the game Destiny
    here is the link to it
    http://www.myminifactory.com/object/duke-mk-44-hand-cannon-from-destiny-2140

as it was printing it build this extra wall around it that i had to pry and break off... is that normal?
    my brother wants to keep it he has idea for it... he said it looks like wood
    any suggestions?

10. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

[​IMG]

They don't really look the same.

You need to check to make sure you did not forget a setting. Also make sure your screws and bolts are tight.

I really am at a loss of what your problem is.
    It does not look like the part is printing properly. Did you use my settings exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

No, the print fan comes on when slicer cooling setting tell it to go on. Nothing to do with the nozzle temperature. It is important that you understand this. That fan is (in part) to prevent the melted looking sections on near the top of your Z support print. You should look at your slicer's cooling settings and try to understand what it is doing.

I think you also have a problem with your extrusion temperature. Try test prints at 5C increments/decrements to see what works well. Either that or that filament is a problem.

12. Kenbob

Kenbob New Member

13. Omegagundam

Omegagundam Member

Hello all and thanks for replying.
    I finally got it to work but it prints well in ABS after some trials and errors the setting u gave me Peter work very well with ABS
    lucky for me i had 2 rolls of it from CNC because i had bought the roctock max kit and built it... now i gotta fine tune it. but anyways yeh the abs i have seem to work. the PLA that i was using was the sample i got when i got my robo 3d. it seemed to get chewed up A LOT in the pulley wheel
    was constantly cleaning it.now i have a new issue... but ill make a new topic for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.