1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Greetings from Maine in the USA! :)

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by jasonmm1979, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jasonmm1979

jasonmm1979 New Member

Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. I recently ordered a Robo3D printer, namely the ABS + PLA model. I'm very excited to receive it. I got a couple questions though. How upgradeable is it? Is every aspect/part of it able to be modded/upgraded/replaced?
    The reason I ask, is because I'd rather not have to buy a printer every 6 months. I'd like to buy it once, and then just keep adding to it/modifying it.
    And if every aspect of it is upgradeable, what if new materials come out? Would it be able to handle more than just plastic filament?
    Thanks and sorry for all the questions :)

2. -PC

-PC Member

Hello Jasonmm,

As far I can tell you, you can change, upgrade, modify everything.

R3D was built based on a Mendel90 derivative (as I found on Google). You could do pretty much anything, your only constrain would be the printer's size.

That said, the power supply is a good 12V/30A and there still plenty of power to add LED's, you could most definitely replace the hot-end for more materials: nylon and other high temp materials (E3D hot-end), upgrade the firmware to add a second extruder (my opinion not worth it here because would reduce drastically the printing area), you could replace the rods to be able to print taller things, etc, etc, etc.

Nothing beats R3d Price/features (in my opinion) and if you really get into 3d printing you might see yourself either buying a second one or even building.