1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heatbed, Powersupply and Z Axis issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jorbangr, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickster

nickster Member

tesseract - Number on the polyfuse F2, is X(or logo) 16 GF1100 which I am not finding an exact manufacturer reference for. Faces are not exactly parallel and would require some heat sink compound to fill the voids. Maybe use two thin plates of aluminum 1/2" x 2" one on each side. Make two small clothes pin like printed clips to sandwich plates in place? Can also L bend the plates for more surface area.

I punted and installed a 15A mini fuse holder from OReilly Autoparts FHM200BP right on the RAMPs board, using some wire wrap socket pins for rigidity. Not the best solution, Radio Shack had nada. Longer term will look for a low profile fuse socket. I could be talked into going back to the Polyfuses, possibly two in parallel or maybe the heat sink. The Polyfuses called out on the RAMPs board are just too close to the tripping point for my taste. I haven't tried it, but expect neither the 15A mini or the Polyfuses are fast enough to keep the power fet from popping with a dead short to the power supply. They are there to prevent a fire if somehow the the FET faulted short.

Bed temp is still only getting to 74C where the extruder fan is blowing on it, and not 100C. It might be warmer directly under the part. Annoying part is the heating bed message staying on.

2. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I'm not sure how you'd really attach a heatsink to the fuses... it's not a flat enough surface so really the best bet would be airflow over them to provide cooling. I've pushed my fuses apart from one another and away from the other parts which might generate heat, to try and allow as much airflow around then as possible, but don't have a fan currently pointed at my RAMPS. It's a 12.5 hour print, and is the same print that killed my hotend previously. Robo sent me a new one (
    FedEx Saturday Delivery even, natch!) to replace the one that died so I'm printing again finally, yay!!! It's been plugging away for an hour and a half so far... so 11 hours to go! Currently printing layer 5 of 191 of the 1.2 MILLION lines of GCode. Hopefully this works... othewise I'll have to start printing all the parts individually rather than all nine at once... yeah, all my eggs in one basket... {shrug} Maybe I'm just stupid. LOL

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Matt I think that may be too many eggs at this point unless you can get the bed extremely level some areas of the multiple parts will probably lift and when tehy do they will cause the others to come off as the loose ones get dragged around and the problem will be if you remove them the printer wil still try to extrude in that area since it thinks the prints is still there :confused: That was a problem ai faced while back until I got the bed REALLY level

I hope it works though I would watch it closely

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Danggit!!!! X axis slip!!! Guess I'll need to tighten and start trying to print the parts one at a time now... {sigh}

Oh yeah, I've also tried taping a sheet of paper on both sides of my housing in an effort to try and trap some of the heat in there and contain it so maybe the heated bed wouldn't be worked as hard. Plus I'm keeping the door to the deck closed. I have to look out every minute or so and check to see if the dog is trying to get back in or not... as the wifey would NEVER let me hear the end of it if I left the dingus boy trapped out on the deck with me not in the room watching him!

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

are you printing ABS or PLA PLA should not need a heated area I would focus on the bed levelness, the x slipping and then layer heights in that order. ABS adds a lot more issues to the game so unless it is a must for the print itself I would focus on PLA to begin with

6. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

I'm printing with PLA. I know I shouldn't NEED a heated bed, but I was having a lot of adhesion issues without it... so now I'm just using it just because it's working for me. After tightening the Y axis it's not slipping. Of course I'm also just printing the four LM8UU bushings/bearings. I've got some real ones on order from China but that won't arrive for two weeks so am printing some to use in the meanwhile so i can get my hotwire foamcutter built... The generic NEMA23 axis will form the two X and Y axis. I tried building out out of drawer slides, but was having serious issues with resolution (I'm building 3 CNC routers) for the foam HBLB34's... So, I scrapped the idea, ordered some 8mm ground and polished rods from MSC, the bearings from china, and will print the rest of the axis and build the foamcutter CNC from that...

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have found that when people have issues with parts staying down correctly using PLA it is 99% of the time that the first layer is too high it should be flattened but solid first layer example.jpg

The skirt is this pic is two loops wide but it is flatten so it looks like one that is about how flat things need to be if you notice there is a single line that is raised in the middle of the flattened layers that was when I manually lifted the z axis while it was printing and if people saw a skirt made up of lines like that would think "Hey I got this" but I could almost guarantee that print would fail as that line is way too high so I would try the PLA again and focus on making your skirt look like this one and I think you will find the PLA works just fine I use a bit of hairspray on the boroglass and it works great

Good luck

8. Matt Farmer

Matt Farmer New Member

Hi Guys,

My second day with the printer and I ran straight into the Overheating Polyfuse switching off the heat bed problem - while printing Mr. Jaws in ABS :(

After looking at the problem - I've come up with a quick "Heath Robinson" to fix the issue, it appears to be working the heatbed and extruder have now been running for 2 hours at 90deg on heat bed and 210deg on extruder without the issue occurring prior to the mod it would last 30mins at most.

Images are below (couldn't figure out adding them here):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opvu51jpzvhrtsx/5n_jM2PeV_/Heath-Robo1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opvu51jpzvhrtsx/XWbMJETsuR/Heath-Robo2.jpg

It's a pretty simple mod and took 20mins with a dremel, a 40mm PC 12VDC fan and a soldering iron(optional) and some heat shrink.

Not sure if my quick fix will work for anyone else but it's solved my issue !

All the best

Matt

9. nickster

nickster Member

Matt - :rolleyes: How do you REEEEAAAALLLLLLLY know you fixed the problem? it might only run for 2:00:01 before it fails? Seriously nice hack, but I am still sticking with the 15A auto fuse. Also less power loss with the 15A. These Poly's use about 1-4W before they trip. Blow too much air over the Poly, and its trip current goes way up. Plus if I have a bed heater fault, I want to know about it, because at that point the output control FET is probably toast as well (and most likely protected the fuse). I love the fact that these Poly's have a max rated current of around 40A depending on vendor (maybe consider adding a Slo blow fuse to protect the Poly). This link illustrates temp sensitivity of Poly's vs fast /slo blow. Its a known problem that this Poly is not sized correctly for the heater bed current. From across the pond, I had to wiki Heath Robinson. Cheers!

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

To get things operational a fan has been shown to work in many many cases my self included so it may indeed be the solution. I do not think the simply cooling of it will cause any mis-signals so it should still cut off if it really needs to.

The fan solution is a solution that has been implemented by many not on this forum as well with success.

11. Matt Farmer

Matt Farmer New Member

Thanks tesseract - it does indeed seem to solve the symptom - 6hours so far with no issue but I may run out of abs soon :)

Nickster I agree it's far from perfect hence the "Heath Robinson" moniker - however my concerns are more around slaving a DC fan to a binary 12V 10Amp draw which does seem to switch a lot... I'm thinking of taking a signal pin link from the arduino and driving the fan from the supply via a TIP120.. But I'd like a few days before I take a soldering iron to my new shines ramps /taurino. On the cooling effect on poly fuses there is no way the airflow on a 40mm fan will drop the temp on the poly below ambient so it will be operating in its design sweet spot of around 24-26degC.

Interesting idea on the car fuse - you could extend this to a good old fashioned breaker with a reset button externally accessible. Have you thought about using a bigger more ruggedised polyswitch instead of the cartridge -something like a bd240 - that way you maintain the plolyies fire protection ? Be interested in your thoughts as I'm sure the soldering iron will be out again soon !

Thanks

Matt

12. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

Let me see if I understand this correctly... you hooked the fan leads up to the same for the heated bed? So when the heated bed comes on, the fan comes on, and when it turns off, the fan turns off? This would result in the fan going on/off/on/off/on/off as the heated bed clicks on and off to maintain temperature... am I getting this correctly?

Why not have just tapped onto the power supply directly so that when it's on, the fan is on, full time... regardless of heated bed. You could always mount a switch to turn it on/off if you desired if you didn't want to listen to it when the heated bed isn't being used. Otherwise, you're going to have to monkey with the firmware to control the fan. Not saying that's a big deal, just more rube goldburg than I'd wanna deal with personally. I wired my LEDs for the hotend direct to the power supply.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well my heated bed circuit fan mount worked wellas it6 postioned the fan pretty much right over the troubled area and I wired it to the PSU so it is on all the time here are the results turned printer on turned heat bed on to 80 heatbed temp rose and got to 78 then I heard teh PSU fan turn on and the wavered for about a minute then started to decrease VERY VERY SLOWLYmuch slower than if I had turned it off it dropped to 74.7 and then wavered between 74.7 and 74.8 for along time PSU fan running all this time then it started dropping a bit more and I decided to turn it off . I did so and about 15 seconds later the PSU fan shut off and the bed rapidly decreased in temp to ambient turned bed heated back on just now after about 10 minutes from original test and bed started heating again

Currently have the new fan pulling the warm air away from the circuits may swap that so that it blows new air onto it
    but not sure

14. Matt Farmer

Matt Farmer New Member

I opt'ed for pulling waste heat from the system as I wanted a general airflow not a specific cooled spot. If the problem returns ill think about swinging the fan around to specifically cool (push) air at the polyfuses and board.

At the minute the fan is connected to Heated bed by a nice juicy iN5355BG zener diode and a tiny little 1K resistor, I think adding a very large decoupling Electolytic capacitor may help decouple the two elements a bit more.

The reason the fan is connected on the heated bed outputs is I over think problems and have therefore probably over engineered the solution to only be on when the problem occurs :)

I shall look at moving it to the PSU in my next adventure under the cover!

On the heatbed the cycle at 90degC in my environment seems to be a pretty square wave with a wave length of about 10seconds peak to peak. so the Fan's duty cycle is actually nicer than it's previous life on a motherboard northbridge !

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

actually when I got under there I saw that I was indeed directing cool air to the point but becasue my test was 100% successful in that I never did reach my set temp of 90C i did reverse it so now it pulls bad air away as you put it about to test again

The key asepect was that it did not shut down it was trying so PIDs could be involved now

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Just an added note, with the fan reversed and pulling the bad air away it is actually working a bit better
    the fan for the PSU did not come on until it had hit 82C although it was set to 90C it jsut turned on and not it seems like it is struggling dropped 2 degrees

maintaining at 80.4for three minutes now PSU fan still running

fan just shut off temp climb was immediate 1 degree in about 15 secs and climbing
    back to 82
    now 83 after another minute

17. nickster

nickster Member

Under worst case conditions, the thermal fuse can only degrade the power going to the bed by about 4% or 2.5C. When its resistance increases so that you are seeing 0.25V drop across the Polyfuse, it is probably a done deal, dissipating like 2.5W and is going to tip soon. It just can't significantly affect the bed power without tripping.

Polyfuses have a limited life time. Manufacturer's data sheet talk about things like guaranteeing they won't burst into flames :eek: after 100 cycles. Every time they are tripped, there is wear and the resistance doesn't go quite back to the original value. (at least what I can see from reading the literature). Also the UL and CSA approvals are contingent on the fuse not being used in an application where it repetitively cycles (defined as many thousands). Fall out is that if the Polyfuse trips because of cooling issues, it will continue to trip and probably at an increasing rate.

We nominally have 100W going to the bed and if you turn off the extruder fan, my guess is most Robo's will hit 100C bed temp. If you position the extruder over the the part of the bed near the thermistor pick up, even that small amount of air is able to suck a lot of power from the bed and you see temps like 80C. Another variable is to look at the bottom of your bed and see if the thermistor is directly over a PCB heater trace or in between. I suspect the temp is a lot warmer and easier to maintain directly over the trace. I am thinking about trying to add a thermal blanket to the bottom of my bed as an experiment.

Blowing air, even very warm air, directly over the Polyfuse will have an enormous effect at dropping its temperature and raising its trip point. Data sheets and white papers don't come right out say it, but the trip current appears to be proportional to the initial resistance. In addition to the 10% hold current derating at 35C ambient in the Robo, manufacturers call out +/-5% variation for passive aging, +/-5% for Humidity aging, +/- 5% thermal shock (80C/-40C cycle). Recovery resistance 1 hour after tripping is spec'ed at not more than 2.4x initial resistance. A data sheet here.

So I still think the best controlled solution is a Slo-blow fuse. Other options are the fan with or without external cooling. Another possibility is a higher current Polyfuse like 16R1200 or 16R1400 from Digikey ($1.09 +$500 S&H:confused: ). One app note talked about running Polyfuses in parallel, but current sharing is not guaranteed (which seemed strange) but cautioned that heatsinking thru the leads into the PCB needs to be balanced. Seems like you'd want to widely separate two Poly's in parallel so they have their own independent heat zone which would balance the current.

Now if my eBay replacement Hobbed Bolt would just get here....o_O

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I tried leaving the fan on and used a deflector to completely isolate the heatbed from the extrude fan during my 82C adventure just to explore that possibility as well. I placed a piece of posterboard between the extruder and teh bed along its complete length and this test was static so the bed did not move it was strickly for temp checking.

The only deviation I saw from holding the temp at about 80C or during the slow rise to that point was when I heard the fan kick on for the power supply itself indicating it was getting warm itself. IT happened twice during the last test over 2 hours once during the climb and it actually dropped about 3 degrees and then started to raise again and once during the maintain mode (or the max it was going to ever reach I guess it should be called)where it dropped about 5 and then slowly came back up.

19. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.