1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help - First print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by im1badmf, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im1badmf

im1badmf New Member

I've had the printer for about a week and yet to get a decent print. I've tried the maker robot but realized that it should be hollow so I went back the 15mm cube. On three different tries about 25 lines in the extruder would stop extruding PLA. I noticed if I applied a little down force on the PLA the material would extrude as long as I gave the material a little assistance. I think I have the settings almost there, but I can't get past this part. The first 25 lines look good.
    Any insight would be welcoming

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Are there plastic shavings under and in the teeth of the extruder's hobbed bolt? If so see Melody's FAQ: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fryBbKG8rpOCfsWk3UbcJzHEItqHU0iFY7uVRF3sFx0/edit?pli=1 , item C.9.

I'm not sure what hobbed bolt they are shipping now but if it is anything like what came with the November printers it will slip and give you gaps or no extrusion. As I've mentioned to many others, my original bolts teeth where angled backwards from the direction of rotation and almost always slipped.

I got this one, make sure you specify the hobb to be 15mm from the bottom of the bolt head: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbed-bolt...A-Seller-/221355685972?_trksid=p2054897.l4276 .

What temperature are you using with the PLA? Please so through the FAQ, it could save you a lot of time!

3. im1badmf

im1badmf New Member

Thanks, I didn't know that FAQ was there. Looks like a lot good info in there.
    I'm printing at 210 with PLA. I haven't to check the temps directly at the extruder yet. My room temperature is a chilly 65 degrees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.