1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Hot End Cooling Fan Control Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Vladuchick, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Vladuchick

So, I have found an interesting problem that I think I understand, but don't know how to fix.

I am printing a large part. I just printed the first half yesterday and it worked ok. The quality of the edges are, I believe, due to to export setting on my solid model. I have fixed it.

So: here's my problem. I'm using MatterControl (which may be part of the problem). I am using Slic3r to make my gcodes.

I do not know how to control my hot end fan. If I use MC to preheat my extruder and bed, my fan never turns on. This results in a great first layer until the cool end heats up to the point where the material gets soft and then last third of the first later fails.

I'm cooling off the hot end now. I will retry the print but without preheating the extruder at all. That seemed to work last time.

2. Paul Vladuchick

OK. So the fan turned on by itself and so I'm going to let it go. Don't know what the problem is, but apperently there is no controller, it just is powered directly from the power supply. Interesting.

3. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Paul, the fan should always be on. That is why it is wired directly to the power supply. If your fan is not always on then I can ship you a replacement. Please complete this simple parts request form: http://www.robo3dprinter.com/pages/replacement-part-request
    Include a picture of the fan in your request so we know which version of the fan you have. Thank you!

4. Paul Vladuchick

Thanks Jerry,

I just sent in a request, but I forgot to include the photo since the printer is going. Once it stops, I'll send you a photo if you can PM me your email address.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.