1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved How can I reduce this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wikid, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Wikid

Wikid Member

Hey guys, Just started using my roll of XT after getting the Robo all dialed in. I kinda had these with PLA but fixed them on the outer perimeter using coasting but I'm not sure how to fix it on inner holes like this.

Im running at 60mm/s 240, 70c, .3 layer, S3D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wikid

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That's the zipper line, right? You can fix it by adjusting the extrusion ratio. Turn it down to about .97 and you should be in good shape.
    I tend to run XT a bit hotter and slower (250 and 60mm/s), but you seem to be in good shape.
    FYI, XT can be vapor polished in acetone, so if you want a nice glassy surface...

3. Wikid

Wikid Member

The issue is that the other areas that have the start and stop have a small gap from the coast setting being too high, This area however is producing a bulge. I don't know if it will be too big of an issue as I will warm these before I install the bearings but want to make the bumps as small as possible.

Also what is the best way to prep the build plate for XT, I used hairspray but it pulled up ever so slightly.

Wikid

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I don't use the coast setting, so can't comment on there. I think you're probably better off getting temperatures and retraction dialed in correctly.

For build plate adhesion, I tend to use the same types of tricks that work well for ABS. Get the first layer pressed in well. Some kind of adhesion promoter: raft, brim, adhesion disks, etc. is helpful. I used to use gluestick on kapton on my old makerbot replicator dual, but have been using a product called 3D Lac lately. It works really well and is not just rebranded hairspray even though it looks like it :)

5. Wikid

Wikid Member

The coast doesn't seem to affect this material as much I'm getting these bulges on the inner areas and holes on the outer passes. I did bump the temp up but just seem to smooth out the final layers. The speed for the outer pass is 50% of 60mm/s should I try speeding that up or slowing it down would that help at all?

Wikid

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Speed shouldn't matter too much. You should be able to fix it with extrusion ratio adjustments.