1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to bulid a 3D printer by ourself?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by vickysain, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickysain

vickysain New Member

2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

It is absolutely possible.

However...

Unless you have a lot of the parts already lying around, the cost will not be as cheap as you might hope. I'd have to add up the parts but I think my Prusa i3 build is going to come in at $1,500 ish. Some of that is because I've gone with premium components.

Additionally, there is really no substitute for having your own 3D printer to prints parts for the new printer as needed and having good 3D design skills to modify things to match the hardware you have.

Possible, yes. Easy, no.

That's why I like the Robo3D as a starting point. For a $200-$400 investment in upgrade parts, you can take your Robo to the next level and it's still cheaper than building your own.

3. vickysain

vickysain New Member

4. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

To be blunt, if you're asking what you need to complete a kit here, you are not ready to build a kit.

The incomplete list of things you're going to need:
    A frame of some sort (or a bunch of threaded rod)
    Printed plastic parts
    motors
    hot end
    Cold end (could be printed plastic, though I don't recommend it)

Do not even think about considering to think about dual extrusion at this point. Until you know how 3d printing works, dual extrusion is pointless. You have to be able to model for dual extrusion and the software isn't easy for that yet. Heck, software for single extrusion isn't easy yet.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

For those in not able to get into the kickstarter path the cost is quite more from the site
    $599 for PLA and $699 for ABS
    + the $200-$400

I do agree it is possible but not all that easy unless you are building a complete kit. Your own design much more difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.