1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I am at a loss...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dr. D, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Ok so I have no idea what is causing this, not a clue. I did everything to change my settings, I even did a roll back to filament and printer defaults and still no change.

Attached Files:

2. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

What temp?
    What is your infill set at?

Does filament extrude easily?
    First layer height?
    Bed level?

3. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Temp is around 210 but I keep adjusting it to even 230+ (5 degree increments) no change. Infill set is around 60 but I modified it(in increments of 15) to as low as 30 and no change. First layer height is .35 but i kept adjusting from .4 to .2 and no change. It extrudes well it produced as much as it think it does, and flows when I hand feed it (if only with a slight delay, but I expect that to be normal) I even flossed the extruder with a guitar string, no change. I bed is level I used the spring cups on it.

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

OK progress, sort of... I got it to create a very solid peace by modifying the setting to a .2 diameter nozzle instead of .4, this leads me to believe that either there is a partial clog or maybe when I changed my firmware I did something to the motor steps. I already flossed it with a guitar string so I need to check the other option, know where I can get more info on the firmware?

5. Chas

Chas Member

Try slicing with CURA instead of Slic3r and see what happens. Might just be a weird slicing issue.

On a side note...my dog's name is Dr. Dennis so I was very amused by your user name :D

2 people like this.
  6. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

Did you set the filament diameter correctly? It seems like it thinks your printing with 3mm instead of 1.75

2 people like this.
  7. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Yeah I checked the filament settings its at 1.75mm. It seems to be working fine now that I setting my nozzle to .2 instead of .4 I hope this isn't a clog or something...

I will certainly give cura a shot, thank for the suggestion.

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Do you re-slice after you make adjustments?

9. Bob64

Bob64 Member

after you slice, go to the gcode editor and look at the layer range and go through the first few layers and see if there is any weird gaps and that it is slicing correctly. I think i've printed that exact same stepped cube and I sure as hell don't remember a cutout on the first few layers.

Next, did you mess with the horizontal shells parameter in slic3r. Are any of them set to 0?

Is your infill set to concentric instead of rectilinear?

10. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Horizontal layers are both set at 3, rectilinear infill. I also removed the need for infill by increasing the number of layers to that the entire shape is comprised of shells. Problem is the shells gaped.

So far the only fix has been changing nozzle size. Could it be something mechanical or firmware related?

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

want to post your gcode and a screen shot of the advanced screen of the print settings tab from your slic3r profile? I think I might know what is happening.

12. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Ok guys more updates I was testing extrusion and I notice some delay between my command and result... so I tried to hand feed some filament and ended up breaking it to get it through the hot end. I am going to assume that amount of resistance is not normal... However I am still unsure where this resistance is coming from, I already flossed the hot end is it possible there is an internal leak/blockage? I am using the stock extruder, I have an E3D on the way.

13. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Here is the g-code... I will have to get you that screen shot later.

Attached Files:

14. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

:) I was right. send out those screen shots when you get home and we'll get you squared away.
    You must somehow have a multiplier set in the advance settings. It's trying to extrude a 300% width layer (1.2mm), but it can't. When you tell it you have a 0.2mm layer and it is trying to extrude 0.6, it works out OK.
    FWIW, I've actually changed those settings before, but slic3r refuses to accept my changes and I end up starting from scratch, so you're not alone.
    Here is where the issue is in the gcode:
    ; perimeters extrusion width = 1.50mm
    ; infill extrusion width = 1.50mm
    ; solid infill extrusion width = 1.50mm
    ; top infill extrusion width = 1.50mm
    ; first layer extrusion width = 0.60mm
    It also explains why you're first layer doesn't look too bad.

15. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

I think I see it, default extrusion width. When the heck did I change that...

I am gonna go put my extruder back together ha ha...

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.