1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Layer shift issue (X-Axis)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jdmef8, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jdmef8

jdmef8 New Member

I've recently been having issues with a slight layer shift on my R1. This only occurs on the X-axis and it at a specific point in the print on 90% of the prints that I have made. I have already checked the pulleys and the belt tension. I've also made sure that there is air blowing on the RAMPS to keep them cool. I've also gone as far as replacing the stepper motor and installing a fan but it never fails, when I print anything, I will get a layer shift at exactly 10mm high. The shift is to the left and continues printing the rest of the file straight up from the shift. I've tried rotating the object 90 degrees on the bed, but the shift still occurs at the same point. I've also tried lowering my x/y movement speed, but see no difference in the prints. The x-axis moves freely when not connected to the stepper and everything checks out. I have also installed the lead screw upgrade on my printer after this issue occurred thinking that it may be an issue from the Z-axis.

I am currently using S3D and hatchbox ABS as I have done in the past with decent results. I'm not able to find any solutions on S3D forums either, although there's this one thread with the red crowbar keeps popping up with a similar issue, but it is due to the print being larger than the bed. I'm printing much smaller items that measure 40mm x 40mm. If I print anything shorter than 10mm, the prints come out perfect. I doubt it's a mechanical issue as the printer is capable of producing quality prints. It's taller/larger objects that are giving me this issue. Does anyone have any insight on what I might have missed or what to check on next?

2. jdmef8

jdmef8 New Member

I just printed this model and noticed that the shift occurs when the bottom green area begins.

Attached Files: