1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Leaking Print Head

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Benjamin, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

I just received my Robo3D yesterday and have been trying to print some of Jerry's suggested fixes. My print head is leaking filament like mad. It is coming out between the plastic tube and the metal heated block. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it. I clean it before every print (and now during every print) and it is leaking so much that after it gets to about layer 20, it is dropping small puddles of filament. When the head hits the hardened puddle, it moves the x-axis and y-axis so the entire print is scrap. I am aware of changing it out for the E3D, but I want to use the one that came with it for now. I have tried to tighten it and it won't tighten, just keeps turning. I would appreciate any help.

2. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Sounds like the internal PTFE tube is cracked. Contact Robo, they will send you a replacement,

3. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

photo 1 (3).JPG photo 2 (3).JPG photo 3 (2).JPG

4. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Warlocke, thank you. I will contact them Monday morning. The last one, it was printing okay until I fell asleep. Always the way.

5. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Yeah, that looks like a cracked tube. There is a video floating around on the forum that shows how to replace it. The Robo guys might send you the link as well when they send your replacement.

2 people like this.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Benjamin, Also looks like your Y belt is slipping big time :(

7. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

I did check it after it did the print in the last picture and it was very tight. I later found out that what is happening is the hot end is leaking so much plastic it would drip on the part and on the next pass the hot end would get caught in the now hardened plastic puddle (until it could melt through). This would cause the stepper motor to slip usually on the Y-axis. The bed is no longer in the coordinates that it should be and causes the drifting.

2 people like this.
  8. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Jerry got the printer up and running. Thank you Jerry the new hot end works great with no leaks at all!! I have to give it to Robo3D, they hoped on this issue quick and helped me find resolution very fast. I have worked for some large engineering companies and I am way more impressed with the response time of Jerry (especially as it seems like an army of one)!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.