1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Massive X shift @ 30mm tall

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 1d1, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If cooling is affecting layer adhesion then the max fan setting is too high and you need to adjust it. The print fan is supposed to solve the exact problem that you are having. I don't have adhesion problems unless I blasted the fan of high for an entire layer. The auto fan and bridging option in Slic3R only turns on the fan when jumping over a bridge. Don't have the fan "always on". I would rather get the cooling dialed in than have to babysit all my prints.

For the stepper calibration do you have the latest RAMPS firmware? See my post http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/marlin-firmware-update-2-6-14.1725/#post-13298 . If you need dimension accurate prints this is an important firmware update.

You project sound pretty neat. Please post details when you are ready.

Sorry - in my post above, you = your, ottle = bottle o_O.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I did it again. Above, you = your, of = on o_O. Can't type or find my reading glasses!

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

@Steve; thanks for the link! I had read it and forgotten it, but those are the numbers indeed. Already flashed.
    And not nursing the prints is definitely the goal. As I have no actual part cooling fan hooked up, I shall look into it. I was using a small desk fan when destroying layer adhesion. No more end curling or layer ruffling, you say... excellent. Thanks
    Dean

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Way to go confirming the issue! Like Steve already mentioned, parts cooling fan is a prime solution there. When PLA doesn't have enough time to cool, it lifts. Other potential solutions are minimal layer time and cool head lift.

Since I know you're using PLA/PHA, I can offer some cooling suggestions. PLA/PHA is more sensitive to cooling than standard PLA. You want a gentle cooling. I usually use a table fan across the room on low rather than the parts cooling fan. It's just enough to get some air moving. The other option is to raise temperature and use a more aggressive ducted cooling, which might be a better choice for parts with really thin sections.

Just a note that the hop type option you are looking for doesn't exist in Cura. In some of the early open source slicer development, they found hop (the option you're trying to find in Cura, but can't) to be not a good technique so you're not going to find it in Cura. Not sure why it is still in slic3r. That's really an ooze prevention method, so retraction is the solution.

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Too bad on the hop thought. The head drags ever so slightly across even flat surfaces which leaves marks and, as we know, sometimes bangs into a curl, ruffle or ridge.
    I shall try my teeny desk fan from a bit farther away before I head to a ducted solution. With the new step settings, things have improved but I find room for improvement even yet. The acceleration setting of 500 really smooths things out and actually allows higher print speeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.