1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Maximum heat bed temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Xepol, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xepol

Xepol New Member

Just so I know, what is the maximum safe temp for the ABS heat bed, and does the firmware have any built in limits to prevent exceeding that?

2. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

I was wondering this myself
    thanks for asking this

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

There are software limits.

If you look at the current version of the firmware (which is a version of Marlin) in Configuration.h you'll see the MAXTEMP limits.

I have an E3D hotend so I've modified my version of the source. Here is what I have. I've included line numbers so you can approximate where they are in the file.

125 // The minimal temperature defines the temperature below which the heater wi ll not be enabled It is used
    126 // to check that the wiring to the thermistor is not broken.
    127 // Otherwise this would lead to the heater being powered on all the time.
    128 #define HEATER_0_MINTEMP 5
    129 #define HEATER_1_MINTEMP 5
    130 #define HEATER_2_MINTEMP 5
    131 #define BED_MINTEMP 5
    133 // When temperature exceeds max temp, your heater will be switched off.
    134 // This feature exists to protect your hotend from overheating accidentally, but *NOT* from thermistor short/failure!
    135 // You should use MINTEMP for thermistor short/failure protection.
    136 // Robo3D HotEnd: // #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 235
    137 // E3D HotEnd
    138 #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 300
    139 #define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 275
    140 #define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 275
    141 #define BED_MAXTEMP 150
    From what I can tell HEATER_0_MAXTEMP is the hotend max temperature. It was set original to have a maximum of 235. I've set it to 300. BED_MAXTEMP is the heated bed. It's set to a max temperature of 150 celsius.

4. Thamer Albahiti

Thamer Albahiti Active Member

5. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

If i change firmware limit to 200 (for example) what will happen if i go over 150 ? Will bed burn up or what ? Why 150 is the limit ?

I understand 135 being nozzle limit for and nylon tube inside will melt but the bed ?

Its funny that board will overhear and stop way before your be able to actually use it for more then 10 minutes with only 100c.

I installed fan to blow at the board while using bed and cranked it up to 120 keeping my ABS straight so far :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.