1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Maximum Print Size

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 1d1, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Steering Bracket 1.jpg For those of you curious or interested in a maxxed out print, I think this one pretty much does it - in two planes anyway. I couldn't slice it in Cura because Cura rotates only in 15 degree increments and that way there was always a portion of the print out of the print area. Sliced in Slic3r, it is angled at 42 degrees and the parts of the perimeter loops are actually outside of the designated printer area of the bed. This piece is part of a steering assembly on my experimental one person EV, so strength is very important. Printing in one piece instead of several is due to ROBO's reasonable print size. I suppose I could have printed it almost ten inches high as well, but that wasn't necessary.

View attachment 2410 View attachment 2410 Steering Bracket 2.jpg

2 people like this.
  2. polylac

polylac New Member

nice =)
    if you'd attached a small frame around it with the right angle, then you could have sliced it with cura too.

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I noticed you have it straight on the bed. Is this ABS?

What temps did you use for your filament and bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

This is Colorfabb PLA/PHA from Printed Solid here on this forum. It is directly on the glass with Aquanet extra hold hairspray. The bed was 40 degrees and the hot end, 210. By using 4 perimters and 20% infill, I get the necessary strength to hold the graphite connecting rods which are then further secured with screws and glue. It makes quite a rigid assembly.
    @ Polylac - good to know, thanks.

5. Peter Krska

Got inspired to try a larger print directly onto the glass bed from your post. I first tried a calibrated cube. Worked! Now I am waiting for my iPhone amp to slice and we will see if it is a success. It's big so it is taking hours to slice thru Slic3r

6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Peter,
    Make sure you are using a later version of Slic3R. I found that the 9.xx versions were much slower.

7. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Good Luck, Peter! I find Slic3r is weird sometimes - it can slice large files fast and then take forever on even little ones. Basically, it should never take more than a few minutes. Post some pics when you get it done!

8. Peter Krska

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a print that was starting to fail. I need to recheck my y belt and screws for the motor. Not easy. Need to remove the bed and the screws are made of butter.

But you can see the base is quite big. Shame about the wasted filament. I guess I could always make it into a base for another piece?

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Yes, I have personally developed quite a large supply of wasted plastic. Once in a while I manage to re-task something, but not often. Nice start, though! Big is possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.