1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Motor noise after a bit of running

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wikid, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Those blobs are what is called Z scarring. Some slicers have a random start point, other try to start on an inside corner so it is less noticeable. To my knowledge Cura does not have the random start feature, though I have not searched for any Cura plugins.

2. Wikid

Wikid Member

Well I picked up Simplify and tried the random starts it did the same thing just now the blobs are all over the place haha. I am trying the setting where the start/end points do not overlap, in simplify it was set to 10%.

My test piece looks like one of those drums from a music box.

Whats the typical cause of Z scaring?

Wikid

3. Stephen Capistron

When the print head completes a perimeter it stops extruding briefly and moves up to the next level. During this time the melted plastic in the print head is under latent pressure and some oozes out leaving a little blob where it changes layer height.

As I'm thinking a bit more, make sure your E-steps are right. And somewhere I think there is a retract setting that can be adjusted to try and get rid of those blobs. Be careful though because if you retract too far you will be left with a hole instead of a blob.

4. Wikid

Wikid Member

Thats what I thought but Cura was not retracting at all during that process, it would do the wall then stop for a second and move to doing the infill during that stop I could see a blob form and then it move. hoping I can cure it with Simplify, this is some nice software

5. Stephen Capistron

Some of the early robos had a little slop in the large gear that would create a little backlash so it might not retract properly. Barnacules goes over it in his review on youtube.

6. Wikid

Wikid Member

No it ends up being the oozing of the extruder, when it goes from an inner loop to the next outer loop it is pushing material with the tip. I upgraded to Simplify3D and have it wiping the nozzle over 5mm issue is near gone.

I did print a set of Harringbone gears I want to install.

Wikid