1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MY PRINT IS NOT STICKING

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a very common thing for new people to say. Due to no fault of theirs the first assumption it is the to change how the prepare the bed for printing. They jump from blue tape to harispray to heating the bed to slurrys or glues to saying its must be the PLA and they switch to ABS and try that. It is usually I wide assortment of things they come up with.

In actuality, in 95 out of 100 times it has nothing to do with any of those remedies at all. It is one thing.

The nozzle is too far away form the print bed.

That's it!!!

The first layer is the most critical part of the print if that is sub standard in any there is a good chance the print will fail, and guess what these failures appear to the new printers as the filament not sticking or the print getting dragged around the print bed and forming a big glob. The thing is they are right in the actual reason for the print failing but not the cause.

Without the good solid base to build on you will have problems

The first layer needs to be firmly laid down on the bed so much so that it actually gets flattened as it is pressed against the bed any thing else and you are likely to see issues

This section is only my opinion so take it as such, but in my opinion hairspray on glass or acrylic seems to work the best out all of the options I have tried with regard to PLA. Other options are more complex and difficult hairspray is simply and effective.

So if you first layers is made up of lines that are round or if it doesn't even attach to the bed then you are much too high and you need to adjust your z height( bed height).

Really focus on that first layer make it look flattened.

Also stick with PLA in the beginning while ABS works just fine when things are setup there are many additional things that can go wrong when things are not setup that will simply confuse the issue

PLA has none of them so moving to ABS when you do not know how to get your height set properly is going to be a waste of time and material.

So next time you think my print isn't sticking look at the first layer and see what it looks like

2 people like this.
  2. logandecker

logandecker New Member

Tesseract, your advice on this forum is really, really helpful. Poring over the user guide alone, it would have taken me days to get up and running. Thank you!

2 people like this.
  3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks Logan just tryin to help. I just see the same little things pop up over and over and if you don't catch some of them quickly it can make people not like the printer or the printing experience.

The first time you think of something and see it in your minds eye then design and the print it out it is very nice and even more so if it something that only you need because then it will most likely not have existed at all before you thought of it and created it. From thought to substance in a relatively short time, very cool.

4. Pratik K

Pratik K New Member

I am having the problem where the ABS seems to be almost pushed back towards the extruder after coming out and forms coils on the extruder. Any thoughts?

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You are simply too high read the several posts about it try those solutions you
    May have aucces

6. Pratik K

Pratik K New Member

I have re-calibrated the Z axis many times, and the extruder is less than 1mm from the bed.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I have written several times on how I do it and must have missed all of them. 1mm is way to high I can barely see
    Under mine at all if you want just keep lower in the axis. Eventually you will get there

I can help but I busy at this moment but
    I do know the information on what I do is here

8. Pratik K

Pratik K New Member

Thank you for the help!

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

When I get free I will try and get a hold of
    You and see if I can help further

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.