1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Newer features / Older? model / Cable holder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris McKernan, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris McKernan

Chris McKernan New Member

I received my printer a day ago, but I've noticed none of the 'newer' features are present. Weren't you showing these features as if they were on the printer? Specifically the LED lit interior. Don't get it. Even the distributed CD shows those features in the getting started.

While examining the interior for the lack of LEDs o_O , I did notice that there is nothing holding the Main Cable bundle - is there supposed to be, because that is the impression I got when people talked about removing the cover and having to remove a support for the cable. If anyone can give me a pic or something, cause apparently I cannot use the video as an example of what the printer should look like. ;) Heated bed even looks like it's mounted differently.

Thanks
    Chris

2. R.Irwin

R.Irwin New Member

My main cables are supported only at the top via bracket and Zip Tie. This is only at one location. The rest of the cable is free, only pinned at this one location
    20140403_095301.jpg

2 people like this.
  3. Chris McKernan

Ok apparently I'm only missing the black tie-wrap (or came apart in transit). I checked around - nothing rattling anywhere so I think I'm good...I'll just grab one from my toolbox.

Thanks.

4. neomage2021

neomage2021 New Member

2 people like this.
  5. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Posted this in another thread, but thought you might be curious about the same.

Hey guys, just wanted to throw out an update based on some of the information and questions I'm seeing.

I, too, was wondering about the LEDs and the new axis so I contacted Jerry @ Robo to check on it.

The LEDs are not part of the implementation plan. They are just an aesthetic feature they added for effect in the video. (Just to note, the video actually only states its for the new axis.)

As for the time frame for the new axis going in to the production line? It sounds like they are working to get these added for future orders. Possibly for orders placed around the beginning of May or after as they are waiting for the parts to start rolling in. Having already placed my order I'll likely get the old axis and, personally, this is fine.

Companies do product line upgrades like this all the time. (Just look at the Nexus 7 tablet as an example or any other number of products.) It looks like the new axis will be available as a purchasable upgrade, but this could change (who knows maybe they'll make free some day, though for their bottom line I hope not).

Can it be mildly annoying to have a product change so shortly after ordering it? Sure. But you're still getting a good product and remember, they assign a specific unit to you at the time your order is received and begin testing. IF they were to go through and try to upgrade every unit that has already been ordered not only would you be waiting an additional month just for the parts to be in, but also the additional time for them to install them in your unit and begin the testing process all over.

Personally, I'm content getting a good functional product. If a dire need arises, I can always upgrade later.

6. Chris McKernan

It's fine for a company to upgrade the product from time to time and pass that on to their customers, but a few little Don'ts... Like don't distribute a getting started video with a printer that doesn't have the newer features... don't announce the features until they are being rolled into the currently being shipped devices (especially selling printers with a 5-6 week lead time)... or at least offer the parts as an upgrade for the customer who wants to install it when the receive the product.

Don't get me wrong... I'm happy - this was a cheap way to get into the 3D printer game, been watching from the side lines for too long now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.