1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Nor-CAL

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by 3DCrackersNcheeze, Nov 23, 2014.

1. 3DCrackersNcheeze

3DCrackersNcheeze New Member

Nor-Cal Scientist here, UPS says I'm a new man tomorrow, with Robo being delivered, also ordered the xxl controller. Hope to be part of this and share my inventi... well not my inventions but some cool stuff. Have a great day

2 people like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome aboard.

As a scientist I am sure you will know you have bought a source of fun, fascination and yes, some frustration as well.

3 people like this.
  3. 3DCrackersNcheeze

3DCrackersNcheeze New Member

Is this a good model though in your opinion ?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Really depends on what you want out of your 3D printer and what you enjoy doing.

The Robo is quite a good tool to build prototypes, parts for other stuff and test designs. But it's not really "plug and print". You do need to develop some experience in what works and what doesn't. And it requires a fair amount of tender loving care to perform well. But the good news is there is lots of help available from experienced users in this forum.

If you are looking to understand and develop 3D printing technology (FDM), then the Robo is a good starting point. It's fairly easy to dis/reassemble, modify and improve without making a big $ investment. Software/firmware (generally) is open source as are most of the mod designs.

I've had my 3D printer for around a year now. It generates good quality prints in ABS and PLA and I have "improved" not replaced many of the basic components.

Best of all is that I can now design something knowing that the plastic parts can just be created out of my imagination.

2 people like this.