1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Northern Va, checking in

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by the_antics, Feb 15, 2015.

1. the_antics

the_antics New Member

Hello everyone, new to the forums and the R3D but I'm excited to join this community.

I am still fairly new to 3D printer ownership, but this is not my first printer. I've been fascinated with the technology for a long time now, and about a year ago I decided to build my own 3D printer. Unfortunately, thanks to a less than reputable kit seller, it was a long and frustrating journey. My Prusa I3 kit came with some unusable, misshapen parts, missing parts, and what I would eventually learn was a faulty Sanguinololu board and no firmware or bootloader on the micro controller. I put the project down and picked it back up many times. It seemed like every step forward was met a step back, but eventually I had a working 3D printer. Just as I started learning to print useable parts, my Sanguinololu crapped out completely. No longer connecting to my PC, and eventually just stopped powering on altogether.
    It was at that moment that I decided to put the project down again and just order an R3D. I've been following since the kickstarter days so it was a no brainer when looking to buy an assembled and working unit.

I have not given up on my Prusa though. I will soon be buying a new print controller and getting it back up and running. Besides the fact that by now I can disassemble and reassemble the thing with my eyes closed, having 2 working 3D printers will be largely beneficial to me.

As far as WHY I got into 3D printing, mostly it's because I'm always looking to create something that can't be bought in stores. Whether it be a Nuka Cola bottle lamp or an LED lit Doge sign, being able to print parts is so much more useful than designing my ideas around my available supplies. 3D printing allows me to see my creative ideas come to life, without compromise. Obviously, I love being able to print up random useful items like phone cradles and parts trays as well. I won't lie though, there is definitely a part of me that hopes I can make some money by selling the things I create for myself, but in the long run, just being able to see my ideas become physical objects is its own reward.

Again, thank you all for having me. And I look forward to seeing what this community is capable of.

4 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Welcome! I'm in Northern Delaware, not too far. I'll have a booth at the NoVa Mini Maker Faire in Reston next month. http://makerfairenova.com/ Say hello if you stop by.

This consumer industry is still pretty wild west. Even the 'reputable' companies seem to have a hard time telling an honest story about their product (know anyone with a 5th gen makerbot?) Some of the really shady sellers just sell flat out junk, which is just bad for everyone. I've even seen some cases where they sell junk product under the name of a company with a better reputation. Robo's been through their ups and downs, but I do think they are putting out a good product now.