1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Object keeps coming loose from bed...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Iggy, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iggy

Iggy New Member

Hi Everyone...

My printer seems to be doing quite well these days. My only challenge has to do with objects coming loose from the bed. I suspect it has to do with the constant movement of the bed - which ultimately jars the object loose. It usually happens with heavier objects, and somewhere between 50% and 70% completion.

I've tried printing directly on the bed, with blue tape, and even with blue tape reversed. I have a PLA model, so I cannot adjust the heat of the bed.

Any tips would be appreciated. We've lost a handful of great projects.

Thanks,

Iggy.

2. Iggy

Iggy New Member

... I've even thought of stopping the print job 1/2 way through, and then tacking the base of the object with a few beads from a glue gun. However, I'm hoping to find other solutions before I try that. I really don't want to get in the habit of guessing when to stop, glue, and restart a project.

3. Matthias

Matthias Member

Just to share my experience:
    - Hairspray directly on the glass didn't work well for me, besides that it's quite a mess to clean up from time to time.
    - Normal white/beige painters tape (the fine one, not the rough) without glue worked best for me for PLA. If you have a large area printed on the bed and a fragile object, it gets quite a challenge to remove it.
    - going to ABS (which you probably won't do), I had to go to blue painters tape + glue.

4. Das Wookie

Das Wookie Active Member

You can also try adding some Brim to the print to get more stick. Slic3r -> Print Settings -> Skirt and Brim -> Brim width.

You didn't say exactly what your parts are but my guess is if you use a good sized brim you'll have a much better shot at getting a part to stay stuck down for the duration of the print.

5. Matthias

Matthias Member

Tries Brim yesterday. It does what it should but it's still though to remove, and it doesn't look as smooth as if printed without. Maybe dependent on the object, though.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Brim should not affect the look of the print at all it is the few mm that are printed along the out side to give the print a larger footprint a raft on the other hand virtually forms a bed of it own under the print and this can have an impact on the way a print looks Brim usually peel of and only make contact with one edge of the base of the print.

7. Matthias

Matthias Member

"Should", yes, in theory. I'll post pics....

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.