1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PCB is not flat

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ahmed Jaber, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Hey, all. It's been a while.

My PCB not sitting flat against the plywood bed, and none of my prints are working as a result. Any tips on how to fix that?

I've tried double-sided foam tape, but it only held for a few minutes before the PCB popped back up (Enough time to get a barely-okay test print. First few layers seem to be the hardest). Tomorrow morning, I'm going to try to epoxy a bolt to the underside of the PCB, lined up with the plywood's central hole, and use a washer and wingnut to press the two pieces together. Just wondering if there's a better way.

2. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

And I think I just broke the glass on the thermometer. One of its wires is no longer connecter at the head. Damn.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would hold of on the bolt that seems a bit hard core.

First of all I assume you are printing either firectly on the PCB or on tape on the PCB if so things will continue to be difficult as things change as they heat up and cool down and anything permanent like epoxy will cause failures someplace most likely.

The solution most of us are using has to do with a piece of glass placed on the PCB some people say it needs to be boroglass as it is heat resistant and that regular glass will shatter. That being siad I did not have boro glass available to me so I did go with normal window glass I got two 10x10 pieces for about $10 at my local hardware store and thay have served me well in all honesty one did break about three days ago but I am not sure why I think I did something actually

Now the glass does two thing it protects the PCB form direct damage and it also gives you a FLAT printbed the process I use is as follows I do not count on the two side tape holeit down I choose to believe it is to prevent it from slipping around anyway. On my PCB bed I have little holes that line up with the holes on the wooden bed

Step 1 Tie wrap through the holes to hold down the corners
    Step 2 tape the edges of the pcb heatbed down to the wood wrapping the tape from on top of the heat nbed over the side and to the underside of the heat bed
    Step 3 place glass down on heat bed do the same for it tape down the edges over the pcb and the sides to the under side of the wood
    I use the blue painters tape and this seems to hold very well
    when the glass get dirty it is easy to remove clean and put back.

The most important step in gettin prints to turn out well is not just a flat bed but a level bed so after it is secured down heat up the bed and use a dialindicator to adjust the heights of the print bed at the corners then you are ready to print

if you do not have bed leveling capabilities here is a link to some that seem to work well for me and I am using them right now

I designed this and I thought I put this on the forum as well but here is the thingverse item
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125626

good luck and welcome to all the aspects of printing

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It is called a thermister and they are relatively inexpensive on Ebay

5. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Thanks a bunch! I had heard about borosilicate (and that the RoBo team is shipping them with the printers nowadays), but I assumed the heater wouldn't be strong enough to warm a second sheet of glass. I'll order a sheet and use window glass in the interim.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

no problem here is a pic of my tape down on my pcb with window glass
    2013-08-27 23.06.58.jpg

7. peynir

peynir New Member

@Ahmed Jaber, epoxy on a Printed Circuit Board, not a great idea. Secondly, where I live, we have many grades of glass available which have their cost based on their thermal properties and mechanical properties. @tesseract is correct in suggesting that used glass on both sides is the optimum solution for getting your PCB fixed in properly. I cannot stress enough that using epoxy is not an option on printed circuit boards since they are not all insulators and can easily damage your PCB by detaching the tracks if enough force is applied after getting epoxy on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.