1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

physical aspects of printed material

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was wondering you know the CO2 tanks you use in paintball guns that have the brass valve used to connect hoses to or to fill from. Could a printed part be made using like ABS or nylon that would seal and hold the pressure in say 100lbs of pressure. I have not seen or read anything about how it holds against gas pressure.
    I was thinking that because it is in a small way it is flexible like brass it could make a better seal but up to what pressure. Would one be better than another ABS, PLA, NYLON etc

2. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

From brewing experience we normally use brass connectors, nylon washers for a tight fit into Vinyl tubing. I suspect the main reason why you don't normally see plastic/nylon connectors is wear. Even brass over time starts to wear and requires gas tape (which most CO2 vendors really don't want you to use on the tanks).

Mind you 100psi isn't that great compared to 600 - 800psi in most CO2 tanks for brewing. So I suspect a nylon part would work assuming you get a tight enough thread fit.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Ben currently I actually use the tanks I have and remove the brass valve at the top add some dry ice and place the valve back in I really do not know how much pressure it is. I do not think it is much more than that but am not sure. I put the valves back on and place them out side in the shade and the dry ice evaporates to gaseous CO2 and the tanks frost over when they lose the frost I take them inside I use them for the SodaStream based beverages. When they were refilling them it was quite expensive about 20-25 per tank it is a 33 oz cylynder that carbonates about 130 litres of water. When I refill them with CO2 they last almost as long as the originals or I did not get the valve on tight enough and it is dead but out of 5, 3 usually works and it costs me $10 in dry ice to do all five. The reason I ask about the valve is it is said it uses a special type so it can not be filled by a filling station and I was thinking about printing a substitute one that would.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Jeff, I would say absolutely not under any circumstances with ABS or PLA as-printed.

Maybe with vapor polished ABS
    Maybe with the taulman 618 or the new material.

Even then, unless you get perfect filament, you will probably have pinholes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.