1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print is upside down in Repetier

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Garnet, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garnet

Garnet Member

I've loaded an stl from a part I modelled in SolidWorks. When I import it into Repetier it lands upside down. If I try rotating it in the x,y,z windows it ends up rotated but underneath the print bed and can't be moved above it without it flipping on me.

Why doesn't it land the way it's oriented and how can I rotate it?

Thanks.

2. Mattchu

Mattchu Member

in Pro E (not sure about solid works) you usually build by establishing normals first. This gives your model a reference to work from in other software. However, sometimes we get a model that for whatever reason (i have found a lot of these on thingiverse), just is plain uncooperative on repetier. Here's what you do:

flip the model until you get the orientation you like. Then hit the "center object" on the object placement tab (it is the 6th button over). Your model should now be centered in the middle of your build cube, oriented properly.

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

in the object placement screen import your part and rotate it to your desired orientation the click on the drop object button the name is a little mis leading but it basically sets what it thinks is the bottom of your print based on if you were looking at it from the front and puts that level on the base so in your case when the part is below the base ti will raise it up. It should also change to an part color that indicates it is the active part while it is below the base plane or extending beyond any of the planes it should have a different color

4. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

The answer is different CAD programs define X,Y and Z differently. The two most common versions is Z being height or Y being height. I ran into this problem with MeshMixer and one just rotates it in Repetier and moves on. =)

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the crazy thing I hate the most is when part is made that is not close to origin and you rotate z sometimes it sqings completely off the view and you have toe expand the heck out of it and all the x and Y moves to get it back in the build area

6. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks. Ben that is correct, I noticed (but didn't connect it to this) that Repetier referred to the axis differently than Solidworks. For some reason it won't rotate around the axis I want in Repetier (manually or via the alignment windows) so I will try orienting it in Solidworks to conform to the Repetier axis and then re-import. Cheers.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

can you upload that file as is I use sw also and I am surprised by the trouble you are having

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You can also use netfabb basic for rotation and it is a good tool to use to clean things up as well

9. Garnet

Garnet Member

Thanks. This file landed on it's back (Z axis vertical), which is fine in this case.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.